TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's taken a long time to get this far with so many other things getting in the way like crashes and building 4 bikes from the ground up since I started the supercharger project some 18 months ago :banghead

Well the engine is finished with the suitable lowered compression and internal work aswell as revised cam timing etc

The Blower drive is now revised since my first attempt as I wasn't happy with the distortion from welding the clutch cover and keeping the oil/water pump seals aligned, so gone for a different approach.

The target was 200bhp at the rear wheel but a few compromises with the Engine and Possibility of not been able to fit an intercooler on may bring my target down to somewhere in the 180's :laugh

Still a long way to go and lots to sort out but at least the engine is ready.
Plan was to fit the S4R SSSA at the same time and I also need to build another big bore exhaust from scratch, but thats easy compared to the fueling and electronics :coocoo

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Holy f**k ! :hail :yumyum :cool

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sam You Are The Man!!

That looks Awesume!!!!!!!!!! :hail

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't get too excited, probably be another 18 months before it breaths :laugh

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yum Yum
use TLR fueling and electrics, it will be easier
I don't do easy Pad, you should know that :laugh

So far it TLS with 750cc/min replacing the stock 450cc/min injectors and stock fuel pressure. No point in making it too complicated, the PC will be able to take enough fuel out at low revs.

It doesn't appear that I can get a Dynojet Ignition Module for the TL series (only the SV1000 which is totally different), so may have to revert to the PCII which will slow down the mapping process on the dyno a little.

Still need to sort out the MAP sensor as it will now read positive pressure which will throw an F1 code, but it may be possible to connect it to the inlet side of the blower.

Like I say, getting the physical parts constructed is my main focus, the other stuff is just rumbling on in the back of my head for now :laugh

I might be picking your brain later though........as I did consider using the flapper valve signal to bring in a 2nd set of injectors at a certain rpm....

I may go down the TLR ECU/TB's route but that means more work removing the frame brace or making whole new side plates and linkages to re-angle the TLR TB's :coocoo

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Oh no, the blower is a sucker, it's spinning the wrong way now :laugh

Looks good so far Sam :hail

(Have you tested the MAP sensor with the expected positive pressure to confirm it will spit the dummy?)

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Just how different are the SV throttle bodies :O could you not go the whole hog and use the SV throttle bodies, ECU & loom :O

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you tested the MAP sensor with the expected positive pressure to confirm it will spit the dummy?
Not yet Steve, just a hunch I have :laugh

Just how different are the SV throttle bodies :O could you not go the whole hog and use the SV throttle bodies, ECU & loom :O
It's a possibility, but also need the flywheel and maybe the crank pick up etc, plus I'm not sure how the maps are detuned on the SV, starts making it more complicated and expensive.

I might be forced down a different route in the shake down stages, I might not even need to retard the ignition or once I know where and how much by. I'm sure we have enough info and expertise from the ECU thread to change a base map :thumbup

Detonation is the big killer, but with the reduced goal it may not be as big an issue anymore, we'll see....

For now I'm waiting on a late style GSXR wheel spindle so I can throw in a front wheel and unscrew the fork caps to drop the forks to the bottom and check what room I have for an intercooler.....it's gonna be tight and I might have to move the blower back slightly which means a complete new bracket plate and shorter belt :banghead

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Fantastic work Sam:hail

A rather odd though I had regarding the intercooler would be to stick it in the tail, sort of like the radiator on a benelli 903.

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A rather odd though I had regarding the intercooler would be to stick it in the tail, sort of like the radiator on a benelli 903.
I have 2 that I keep holding up against the various places on the bike, a long thin one about the width of the TL radiator but it's about 4" deep, and the other is from the smart car which is pretty compact and just about fits in the place of the TLR lower, just need to see if I can get the exhaust/blower intake & filter, starter motor, coolant hoses and outlet to the intake plenum all in the remaining space.....

I even thought about mounting it in front of the forks like the old BSA triples but it would look shite, not enough room under a dummy tank cover either. The tail would be ok but the long pipe runs would play havock with the throttle response I guess.

If I can't get it in the TLR location then it will probably be excluded. There's always the water injection option :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sounds reasonable. The Subaru STis at one point used too-small intercoolers due to space constraints, then at full boost sprayed water onto the outer surface of the intercooler to provide the needed cooling. A bit odd, but seemed to work and as it was only needed at full boost a tank of water lasted a good while. Of course the weight of even a gallon of water would be pretty undesirable on a bike I'd think.

Mounting it on the forks reminds me of the radiator on my very first bike - a '82 YZ80 :laugh

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
DOnt know where you get the time or money? but great project - performnace bike would be interested in this. Even I might stick my steering damper back on with 200 horses! :)

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
performnace bike would be interested in this.
Streetfighters asked me to keep in touch but because progress is pretty slow I don't want to start getting outside pressure to get the job done. Unfortunately I've kinda ended up building a trick bike around it at the same time to make it real easy for myself :laugh

DOnt know where you get the time or money?
I don't smoke, barely drink, and the wife lets me have sex just enough to keep me off the street.........my only vice is the smell of petrol :yumyum

Must admit though, the recent flurry of trackday bookings is wearing pretty thin with her :dowhat

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Sounds reasonable. The Subaru STis at one point used too-small intercoolers due to space constraints, then at full boost sprayed water onto the outer surface of the intercooler to provide the needed cooling. A bit odd, but seemed to work and as it was only needed at full boost a tank of water lasted a good while. Of course the weight of even a gallon of water would be pretty undesirable on a bike I'd think.
Not to mention, spraying water that could get under the rear wheel at full boost wouldn't be too much fun either.

You could always go with some side mount radiators like the RC or you could add some huge ugly scoops like the Buell. I mean, your building it off of a TLS, so aesthetics can't be of a concern. :laugh

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not to mention, spraying water that could get under the rear wheel at full boost wouldn't be too much fun either.

You could always go with some side mount radiators like the RC or you could add some huge ugly scoops like the Buell. I mean, your building it off of a TLS, so aesthetics can't be of a concern. :laugh
I meant water injection into the throttle bodies, if it got onto the back tyre I'd have more serious problems I think :laugh

I plan to race the bike after I've proved a point to the NOS guys, so it's got to be pretty sleek :lol

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I understood that it was water injection into the engine, that just reminded me of the subaru setup. Injection into the engine is also very popular on subarus that run much higher-than-stock boost levels and was also really popular on the forced-induction WWII radial engines. Jasen was talking about where the water would go after being sprayed on an intercooler in a subaru-like setup I think:)

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Looks :drool so far. Might want a slightly longer swinger to help that front end stay in proximity with the tarmac. How 'bout experimenting with that, eh? It may not have too negative an impact on turn-in if you raise it up a bit to change the front geometry. :O Besides, it's not like you have anything else to do... :laugh

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm working on increasing my body mass to keep the front down :thumbup

1 - 20 of 222 Posts