TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any way to remove some minor scratches from a visor?
I've got some light ones on my Arai visor, they are not really deep, just at that phase where they start to become annoying. Unfortunately, it's not at the stage where I could start experimenting because the thing is quite expensive to destroy it......
Having read what Sam did to a wind screen and removed the scratches some time ago, I thought that there could be a way to do something similar on a visor :O

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to any larger bike show with an Arai stand and they will service the helmet for free and remove the scratches for you. My mate had his done at the TT.

:hail TLR's
WOW!!!!
The problem is that I really doubt anyone can take care of it here in Greece :banghead
I will try it, though
I might have to got to the TT to have it done :laugh

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I used a very fine wet n dry sand paper with water, 1500 grit or something then lots of polishing with a cutting compound then regular bike polish. its like new after half an hrs work. Try it on a few scratches on your screen first to see what kind of results you can get. the trick to a good finish is to ues a proper polishing cloth and keep changing it so it doesnt pick up dust and grit.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a very fine wet n dry sand paper with water, 1500 grit or something then lots of polishing with a cutting compound then regular bike polish. its like new after half an hrs work. Try it on a few scratches on your screen first to see what kind of results you can get. the trick to a good finish is to ues a proper polishing cloth and keep changing it so it doesnt pick up dust and grit.
Aha...so, it's being done
That is what i wanted to hear... Thanks

I think I will try it on an almost non transparent visor of a friend's of mine to see how it works before I try it on mine :lol

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Toothpaste is the finest polish easily located on the finest cloth you can find.

Brasso is coarser for a deeper cut.

1500 wet and dry used with washing up liquid is coarser.

the cloth supplied by optometrists to keep your specs clean is very smooth, the cloth will scratch so get something really good. experiment with how much water or soap you add to keep the cutting action happening.

I guess auto cutting compound could be used on deep scratches too.

cheers stu

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
You can buy stuff here in a tiny bottle that supposedly fills up scratches in plastic stuff like visors, lens covers etc ... I've not had the courage to use it yet though :D I've got a spare visor which I'll have a crack at ... when I get around to it :D I've got scratches on my gold mirrored visor too though :banghead no solution for that but buy a new one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts