TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I am thinking about puttuing a smart TRE on my 99 tl1000s. Just would like to no before i go ahead with it, is there any chance of any harm to the engine in any way? fuel mixer, electrical problems etc? And if you have any recommendations of good brands and ones to steer clear of? thanks.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
As long as you're not running the neutral map continuously it'll be right.

Get one from Matt the hat. Or get a JSD-3A http://www.jsdproducts.com/Product_Info/JSD-3A/jsd-3a.html

Don't pay the stupid prices some mobs are asking for them. A 'smart' TRE is a Smart TRE (unless it's an ATRE, but I've not ever seen any ATRE's other than the original ATRE).

Reactions: mick300exc

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
When the ECU thinks the engine is in neutral, it runs different timing and fueling. (It is evident by the change in RPM with the old school static TRE's when the clutch was pulled and released)

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
would a tre with a neutral map have a lower rev limit? i had a tre when i had my tlr and it hit the rev limmiter about 1krpm short of red line

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Maybe, I never tried it.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
i never gave it a second thought at the time, it's not every day you're hitting those revs,only thought about it after reading this, never tried to redline it in neuteral

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is there an effect on the map when you pull in the clutch?

I'd installed a smart TRE from Matt about 3 rides ago. Felt some improvement. This past ride, though... my clutch switch was having issues last minute, so I jumped the connection so I could get out on the road. The bike - no question - pulled much harder than it ever had before. I attributed this to the new filter I'd put in, no even thinking that the clutch would change the map. Is there some changes from that??

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Bridged clutch switch is bad, ECU will run the engine lean.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good to know - I'll fix that and do an A/B. The issue with the switch came up as I was putting the 08 Busa front end on right before a ride out to the parkway. 300 miles that day... and it really felt like it pulled harder than before.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Bridged clutch switch is bad, ECU will run the engine lean.
Good to know - I'll fix that and do an A/B. The issue with the switch came up as I was putting the 08 Busa front end on right before a ride out to the parkway. 300 miles that day... and it really felt like it pulled harder than before.
they say an engine feels like it's running better than ever just before it blows.

a lean condition could make it pull harder, it's a fine line between max power and piston melting lean condition.

my tls runs great as it is so what difference would i notice with a tre fitted ???
tre just changes the fuel/timing maps to the top gear one in the ecu. factory changes them for less power in the first 4 or 5 gears. mine did seem to pull a bit better in low gears after I fitted matt's tre on mine.

the tre just uses a map that's already in the computer, doesn't change to anything outside the realm of what the factory intended the motor to run at.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts