TLZone Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing Fuel Injection on a currently carbulated motorcycle. The biggest obstacle is finding a fuel pump that only pumps and draws what the bike needs. I'd really like to run an inline pump but most are in the 5amp and 500hp range. I could experiment with a resistor but would prefer not to go that route. The pumps designed for motorcycle FI are "in-tank" style and work and fit fine in a sportbike shaped tank.
My question is, in all of yer travels, what is the smallest(width or diameter and height) fuel pump you have ever seen. From cruising Ebay it looks like most newer GSXR pumps are pretty small, especially compared to the oval TLS pump assembly.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Here is one direction..fwiw

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...el-Pump-1983-99_W0QQitemZ260058199851QQihZ016

There must be other good inline pumps...... The TL chopper that Gerhard posted has one,also the hillclimber TL of ? <

The pump will be running all the time with bleed off via some form of tank return ?.....You could wack a crank driven Hilborn PG150 on there with constant flow injection... like a semi controlled leak :laugh

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actually replaced two of those, one in an '85 VW JettaGLi and one in a 1986 BMW K100RS. The pump in the Jetta installed into a box and used an O-ring. The BMW had the pump inside the tank with access by removing the whole cap assembly. Kinda freaky lookin' into the tank and seeing the pump with both wires running to it submerged in gas.

I had overlooked this style for my application. What are the options for a filter, does one attach to the pump on the intake port? Ya got any idea what the pump draws amperage wise?

I have an inline pump like that on the Chopper but it is an automotive style and draws around 5 amps and supports up to 500hp. Circulating the fuel too much with a pump that is larger than needed can heat the fuel and that is a bad thing. 5amps of draw is another thing I'd like to avoid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts