TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Have a small oil leak that I am 90% sure is the clutch rod seal. Doesn’t leak unless I have been shifting through the gears. Previous owner replaced it once. Heard these were an issue. How often did they become problematic?

·
Registered
493 Posts
If it is the pushrod seal, here's my suggestion.

1. Buy a new pushrod. The old one may have some slight burs or imperfections that can screw up the new seal.
2. Purchase a pushrod seal for an SV. They are thicker and better. I used one when I replaced my seal.
3. Install the SV seal backwards. You don't need to buy the seal holder. Your stock one will work fine.
4. Now might be the time to contact Stu "Ring In" and buy one of his adjustable pushrods units. They work nicely.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Take the cover off and clean out the sprocket area good... your seal may be fine and when the engine gets hot it might be making the buildup in there with rocks and sand and stuff leak the oil or chain lube buildup... was my problem on 2 TLrs and a GSXR... new seals can be found at www.ronayers.com if still needed...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for getting back. I have taken the fairings off and am about to get going on this. Two question. I am a novice but am capable of doing this as I have the full service manual.

1) If I am just taking the cover off to clean the sprocket do i need to drain the oil first?

2) I did notice a small leak coming from the Generator cover plug. I presume the crankshaft is there. Is there a gasket that might have failed?

Thanks again!

T

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Already gave you a link that answers all your questions. Read it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts