TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help needed please,got a 98s that's a lot slower than my mates 97 model,wondered what is the best way to go to perk it up a bit? So far just bought Dymags,Yoshi(full system),Damper,6 pots (hope she ain'tlookin).I need to do some thing .Boring winter has arrived.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
get a 97 ecu....you could get the heads too if you really wanted it that bad......

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
A re-map and TRE should have it on par with a '97. If you want a bit more wiesco 12:1 pistons are $300 and would make a big difference, probably the best hp/$$ ratio your going to get is compression and doing it with just pistons rather than head work or messing with gaskets will preserve cam timing. If you want to go further more aggressive cams, properly timed and higher compression will give more power still.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
A re-map and TRE should have it on par with a '97. If you want a bit more wiesco 12:1 pistons are $300 and would make a big difference, probably the best hp/$$ ratio your going to get is compression and doing it with just pistons rather than head work or messing with gaskets will preserve cam timing. If you want to go further more aggressive cams, properly timed and higher compression will give more power still.
Mmmmm

Tell me more about the pistons. What effect will they have on a '97?:dowhat

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
+1 compression is the cheap way to power.
one of the simplest too.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Won't make one iota of difference on power output. Still gearing change may be useful if your current gearing is ill suited to your conditions.

The stock TLS compression ratio is supposed to be 11.3:1, the wiseco pistons are 12:1 (stock TLR pistons are 11.7:1). Should give a nice bump in power output. If ya want more still, set the squish a bit tighter, add fancy cams (timed of course) and top it off with a custom fuel map.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
No offence BikePilot, but forget the 12:1 Wisco's

I imported a set from the states and they are still flat tops, you need the JE 12.6:1 pistons with the penthouse tops. They are the same money but more power.

They still fit with no other mods etc

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
fiche-man,
Where can you find the JE pistons?

·
15,420 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
damn those are sexy.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
No offence BikePilot, but forget the 12:1 Wisco's

I imported a set from the states and they are still flat tops, you need the JE 12.6:1 pistons with the penthouse tops. They are the same money but more power.

They still fit with no other mods etc

None taken, thanks for the info:thumbup I've not used the wiseco's just noticed that they existed, were stated at higher comp than stock and were cheep and easy to get in the states.

Is the piston on the right a stocker?

·
15,420 Posts
None taken, thanks for the info:thumbup I've not used the wiseco's just noticed that they existed, were stated at higher comp than stock and were cheep and easy to get in the states.

Is the piston on the right a stocker?
Yes, it's a stock cast TLS piston. I bought a set from the states from ATVUNLIMITED as even with the shipping they were cheap and icluded rings and head gaskets. It was only when I opened the box and saw they were flat tops I realised they weren't the same as a the JE ones I've bought before.

I think Wisco may do the higher C/R but I might be wrong after looking at their online catalogue, maybe thinking of my CRF.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The wiseco catalog states that they are 12:1 CR:O Perhaps they have a higher crown or something.

How about pics of the Wiseco's when ya get a chance:D

·
15,420 Posts
The deck heights are the same for both the TLS and TLR pistons to keep the squish stock, I recall the C/R difference is down to the depth of valve pockets and also I think there is some typing errors in the manual :devious

The wisco's are just a shiny version of the TLS/TLR ones, until you get out the mic they look the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys
Its already got TRE, K and N ,one tooth less on front sprocket, remap and developes 109 bhp. Does airbox mod make any difference? not done that yet
97 tls makes 119 on same dyno, it's not so much the outright power that seems so different,just the acceration is a LOT sharper on the 97
We tried different 97 ecu on another bike ,not much difference, how do we identify 97 ecu?
As you can see getting a bit lost here guys without going to wisco pistons,used them before on other engines always with good results,
Got another engine (part of) .ENgine no. starts 503 not sure what it is,got 5 spring clutch on it
Thanks guys Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts