TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my clutch on my 97 TLS is slipping again I took the bolts out of the clutch basket springs and put a washer in between help for a while but now it's slipping again rrrrrr has anyone else had this? Or is it a common problem? And if so how to rectify it? 馃憤馃徎 Thank you

Registered
is it still a 5 spring? best I did to mine was update to a six spring with new stock fibres and Barnet springs. a bit harder on the clutch pull but not terribly so. the ramps on the 5 spring models aren't the greatest.
there is/was those who recommended welding the ramps shut but seemed to me to be OTT. Never had a problem since.
cheers
Tom R

Registered
97S is a five spring. Changing to a six bolt, Barnett springs , and adding washers are only temporary solutions.

Welding the ramp is the only true fix.

Sam normally handles the UK. Stu in OZ. Metalbender in the US.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys I have to do something cuz it's doing my head in the clutch sloppy rrrrrr

Registered
going to a six spring as above has been a permanent fix thus far. some 20 thousand miles and no further problems since.

Cheers
Tom R

Registered
yup. obviously getting the bits is the prob. Haunt evil bay. you need the spider(2 bits), inner and outer baskets and the fiber and steel plates. inner and outer clutch cover gaskets though by trimming a bit of the inner cover I managed to avoid taking it of. the stock fiber plates are by far the best choice. the Barnett ones are not worth the money. there is a dicky inner spring too if memory serves. Always new depending on how deep your pockets are.
Cheers
Tom R

Registered
Hi all my clutch on my 97 TLS is slipping again I took the bolts out of the clutch basket springs and put a washer in between help for a while but now it's slipping again rrrrrr has anyone else had this? Or is it a common problem? And if so how to rectify it? 馃憤馃徎 Thank you
Put the heavy duty clutch in my 97s it sucked. Put the stock clutch in with 2 heavy duty springs. PC3 with web cams in mine fixed the clutch...

Registered
Barnett springs fixed mine (5 spring)
Like you I had washers put there by the previous owner (did not prevent slip).

Moderator,
97S is a five spring. Changing to a six bolt, Barnett springs , and adding washers are only temporary solutions.

Welding the ramp is the only true fix.

Sam normally handles the UK. Stu in OZ. Metalbender in the US.
This is the only thing that will permanently fix your problem.

Registered
Replacement has been a permanent fix in mine thus far. And no it is not treated gently. Some 20 thousand miles since.

Cheers
Tom R

Registered
I replaced the clutch with new one. And replaced with new OEM springs in the 5 spring. Works fine no slip. Weird thing though, bike would not go in neutral when it got hot. Turn it off, goes in neutral just fine. Doesn't really bother me.

Registered
I replaced the clutch with new one. And replaced with new OEM springs in the 5 spring. Works fine no slip. Weird thing though, bike would not go in neutral when it got hot. Turn it off, goes in neutral just fine. Doesn't really bother me.
That can be either/or a badly adjusted clutch or a badly adjusted drive chain or both. choice of engine oil can also cause similar symptoms.
Cheers
Tom R

Registered
Hi,

I loaded my clutch with both the Barnett HD springs and their forction and steel plates. Been in 10+ years and no problems apart from uneven forearm muscle definition LOL.
:ROFLMAO:

Registered
Hi,

I loaded my clutch with both the Barnett HD springs and their forction and steel plates. Been in 10+ years and no problems apart from uneven forearm muscle definition LOL.
:ROFLMAO:
that right there is the major problem with going the whole hog on Barnett stuff. Stock plates and their springs is all ya needs.

Cheers
Tom R

1 - 17 of 17 Posts