TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.I ordered my new tyres and i'm thinking of using the Motrax Slime For Tubeless Tyres.Has anybody any experience with this?How much to use on each tyre etc?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLIME-TYRE-SEAL-SEALANT-TUBELESS-TYRES-32oz-/120563829361?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1c122a0a71

Also i want to buy angled valves for the tyres.Are these ok?I'm looking for aluminium anodized i saw somewhere.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Motorcycle-Tubeless-Angle-Valves-90-Degree-/150502233524?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item230aa1d5b4

Thanks

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I wouldn't put anything in my tyres except for air.

(I'd also prefer it to go flat if I punctured one so the damage could be accessed).

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
I've done many miles with slime in my tyres and never had any problems, it's saved me a fortune, over the years i must have had to scrap about 4 rear tyres that picked up a nail in the first 200 miles and trying to get someone round here that will repair a zr tyre is hard. The only problem i've ever had with using it is it really pisses off the next person who has to change the tyre. BUT i've only used it on the rear

·
Registered
157 Posts
I wouldn't put anything in my tyres except for air.

(I'd also prefer it to go flat if I punctured one so the damage could be accessed).

There's pros and cons to stuff like Slime....we sold it in the bike shop....

The pros where people like that fact it would seal small punctures as you rode....

The cons.....people had riding issues as a liquid gel moving around inside your tyres at speed gave for some intersing riding (wheel balance moving as you rode!)

So it upset the handling at speed......

It is also messy stuff...especially when you change a tyre with the stuff in, you get covered in the f*cking stuff!!!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I've tried slime several times in dirt bikes and mountain bikes, so far all I've seen it do is make a mess - tires still leak when punctured. If you get a puncture in the TL just jamb a plug in it, done. Also, avon will give you a new tire free if you get a puncture within the first 1k miles or so (they go by treadwear).

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
As i said i've used it for prob 25k miles on various bikes but i'm fussy about making sure my chain is lubed after a ride and pressures checked before a ride, so i always check the tyre for screws and nails. Yes i've read you can get a free replacement if you run avon but that's as long as it's less than 1mm wear, also only any good if you like avon, but in uk a repair has to be upto a british standard and authorised by the tyre manufacturer. Bridgestone don't authorise repairs.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The pros where people like that fact it would seal small punctures as you rode....

The cons.....people had riding issues as a liquid gel moving around inside your tyres at speed gave for some intersing riding (wheel balance moving as you rode!)

It is also messy stuff...especially when you change a tyre with the stuff in, you get covered in the f*cking stuff!!!

Is this true?

·
Registered
11,029 Posts

yes it is increadibly messy for the tyre fitter, but in the thousands of miles i've used it i've never had any handling issues what so ever,
and faced with a 570 mile ride back from the isle of skye to nottingham on a sunday, i know i'd be a hell of a lot happier knowing it was in there than praying that i didn't get a puncture, after all the puncture repair kits you can get are only a temporary measure with a speed limit to stick to, and as you're adding weight to a tyre that would also throw your wheel out of balance would it not????

http://www.motorcycleshed.co.uk/0089-248878031-B001AXK9QQ-REP_AND_AIR_TUBELESS_TEMPORARY_PUNCTURE_REPAIR_KIT.html

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Gaz.............. looks like you're on your own matey!!

I won't go near the stuff.......... horrible when changing tires :mad:

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
i'll carry on then whilst you lot wait for the rac ;)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm more concerned about the wheel balance thing.As the messy situation when changing tyres i don't mind,its not that often anyway.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
put a liquid in a ball and roll it where does the liquid go?add extra weight to the outer of the same ball and roll it what happens

i like the piece of mind that if i'm traveling on a sunday i can get to where i want, but i always check my tyres for screws or any other damage,

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A bike shop i know installs some kind of slime and he says you must do ~10km at 50kmh so that the slime sets equally on the inside of the wheel.Can you confirm it?Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Slime in your wheels!! bloody hell!!

Man up fellas, buy yourself a $5-10 plug kit and keep it in the bike boot. if you get a puncture plug it, pump up the tire and off you go in 10min. most repair kits come with the mini compressed gas cylinders to pump up the tire or just get one of those mini hand pumps.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
A bike shop i know installs some kind of slime and he says you must do ~10km at 50kmh so that the slime sets equally on the inside of the wheel.Can you confirm it?Thanks.
why would you need to do that? just ride as normal and as soon as the wheel has rotated a few times it would be covered on the inside,
i can't comment on anything other than slime,as that's all i've had experience of, but like i said i've never had any running problem because of it,all i've had to remember is warn the tyre fitter before he takes the valve core out to change the tyre

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
You want to buy this style valve stem, 11.3 mm, to fit a Japanese wheel. Pricey but worth it.

I installed these from Kurvey Girl on my SV650 and they were wonderful just like the ones on my KTM and Aprilia and most Ducs.

·
Registered
744 Posts
One thing about using slime is that if you pick up a nail, it could be chewing away at the inside of the sidewall, without you knowing about it. For a long time. At high speed.

Get a plug kit.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
I'd never use slime as a fit and forget, but you also have to remember you can ride quite a distance with a nail in your tyre without noticing, i'd always tell people to check their tyres for damage on a regular basis anyway

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
i just know i'd rather use it than a emergency repair plug that states in it's instructions not to exceed a sertain speed and get it professionally repaired within a sertain number of miles,

and that is my last comment on it, it could go on forever, :);)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts