TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the bike now off the road as "winter" is coming Im stripping the parts off for repaint, I had to remove the slave cylinder assy to get the sprocket cover off for a replacement billet peice and YES she is a garage queen!!. When I reassembled the slave and rod I started bolting it up to the engine case, but failed to notice that one bolt is fractionally bigger than the other!!!!!! So obviously with my luck they were in the wrong way around. So as I tightend it up I heard a "crack", so I quickly removed the bolt with the spacer on and seen it had removed all the threads from the engine casing. BA$T&RD was the word!!! looking around the casings where these bolts are threaded into there doesnt appear to be any "cracks" like I would have expected to see???? surely iv not got away with it, have I?? really??:coocoo:coocoo When I put the bolts in the right way they torque to spec and if a look at the casings again the is still no cracks when everything is tightened as it should be. I just wondered if any of you chaps have any horror storys with this issue or am I the only rediculously rediculous person on the planet to have commited this horrible crime to the garage queen that is my TLR??? Im close to tears truthfully!!

I do use the search function a lot and have found most answers to my problems, this is why my thread history is zilch.

sorry for the war and peice and i know pictures speak a thousand words but that means uploading them from my iphone to the computer and uploading them on here, which would have took approxamately a THOUSAND YEARS. thanks itunes:confused

This is all, thanks in advance :):)

mikep

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
You're no Robinson Crusoe there.
I did the same thing once. Thought I'd ruined the casting,but seem to have gotten away with it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
As i was browsing through my pics last night i spotted this wee(horror) crack jus to the left of the allenbolt, you see it?? I think this was the "crack" i heard when input those bolts in the wrongway?? When i spotted this i immediatley made way through to the garage to see this wee crack and it "physical" i.e ur fingernail feels it when u run over the crack..... Also i can now see that the slave doesnt quite sit flush flange to flange. I think i may have "cracked" the generator cover which has twisted the ally slightly so that the slave no longer sit flush!!!!

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z461/mikepeers007/mike14047.jpg

·
Registered
292 Posts
Previous owner of my TLR took it one level higher and broke off 2/3 of the "extended" part of the top/left hole.. Had to helicoil and put a longer bolt to fix it... Then I screwed up and pulled the threads out in the lower right one... Helicoil is my savior! :D

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahaha, i feel a right donut but i know it should be fine but id rather jus put a good used generator cover on as i know tht crack will be there and i probably wont sleep until it's replaced haha

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,414 Posts
Make sure the slave is located correctly on the dowel (on the underside). If not then the bolts will pull the slave on at an angle. You need to tap the bottom of the slave as you gradually tighten the 2 bolts :thumbup

If it started to tighten on the piss the loud crack could well of been the casing giving......

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hiya Sam, thats what has happened with
The locating dowel, as i have tightened the bolts the dowel has deformed the locating hole on the slave, after i realised what had happened, i removed and striaghtened out the hole on the slave, put the bolts in the correct way and retightened, all the bolts torque up ok but the flange on the slave doesnt meet flush with the flange on the generator cover, which makes me think that crack to the left of the allen bolt has also twisted the casing a wee bit. Im going to take a few more pics and see what you guys think?? Im fearing replacement slave and gene cover are in order........... Cheers for the input and advice tho its a big help!!

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Big whoop, slave is a wear part that needs periodic replacement to stay perfect anyway...I've had bad luck rebuilding. And the cover cost won't kill you. But welding the engine case could have been a lot worse. It's still the season for thanks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers, i think the slave will be ok, its the generator cover that i thinks knackared, and the crack is in a place that if it was welded i think it would deform the flange which the slave sits if you catch my drift, so ill keep an eye out for a generator cover, replacement. Thanks for your reply tho advice and pointers are mega cheers

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The culprit

Hi everyone hop all is well!!

ok so i have been rebuilding the bike of recent so my "project TLR" but ive come to a stand still with that for about another week or so!!!

So i bring to you the update/repair method for this cock up!!!!

First off ive removed the generator cover for replacement as the "crack" that was heard previously when refitting the slave cylinder had caused damage to the generator cover casing!! im sure this could well be repaired but im not prepared to take the risks!! Note the slight bend in the casing where the slave would usually sit!! This was comromising the seat for the slave holding it off the casing slightly, Effectivly increasing the freeplay at the clutch lever(not good)

Right this is the reason for the damage, NOTE!!! how one bolt is ever so slightly longer than the other, i failed to see this, I have pictured this so you can benefit from my mistake. I do usually lay things out in a methodical approach but i genuinly thought those two bolt were the same length:banghead. I have laid them out in the order they should be in front of the slave cylinder!!

Next thing is "while you in there" you may as well get youself an old paintbrush, some WD40/ Wurth2040 same ting!! spray your oil on work in with the brush and this will adgitate the dirt enough so when you next spray with oil the dirt should just run off the area!!!.
Use penetrating oil of some description, generally speaking its "kind to most things on your bike" avoid evaporative chemical arosols!! these will probably dry out your precious rubber seals etc!!

I know its a little bit sad to clean out all the old crap flung from the chain, BUT if there's a job worth doing and all that!!! as you can see from the results, after 10 mins of cleaning she's as good as new!! although ive been in there cleaning with 2040's a few times already so 10 mins is optimistic maybe an hour or so is more realistic!

Any ways i had a replacement slave and generator cover, repainted the generator cover and luckilly the original slave is perfect so the replacement is unessecery New gasket for the cover too.
NOTE! if your doing this kinda work use the manual and lay your componants out in order like so, saves any cock ups like the one i made haha:laugh

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So there you have it!! Im no expert but just a few pics to help fellow zoners!! Hope it helps

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Generator cover install

Hi

just a quick and final update really regarding this. Repainted the generator cover in gloss black, both meeting faces cleaned for a good seal when bolted up.

This is the generator installed to the inside of the cover, Ive just snugged the bolts up prolly about 13-16 nm!! also the is a rubber bung in there for the generator wires, for me this is a point of potential leakage so use a bit of silicone form in place gasket (FIPG) apply it at the points shown!!

Another lil tip is i have some studs made up in the garage for this kinda job, so fit the studs in place on the engine and theses will act as a guide track for the generater cover to slide in place!! (IF you have removed your chain guard/back plate refit it before the generator cover!!):coocoo Trying to juggle holding the cover lining the gasket up and getting all to fit square on is a real pain in the ass!!!! So this way will line things up niceley!!! I did put one of those studs in the wrong place as it was on the deeper section of the cover so i just moved it after these pics!!

Here you can see how the studs have guided the cover on nice and square!!

Another way of making your life easy would be to remove the battery box for space and the starter motor to prevent having to mesh the drive gears whilst fitting it!!! Or do it as per manual!! install the starter gears on the engine and the the gasket!! in all honesty this is the best way but im an awquard lil s#it so i did it this way!!

Here's a pic of the starter gears in place with the collars and shims. Anyone who's done this job a million and one times before a thumbs up would be reassuring here??? jus so i know ive got it right cheers in advance..

Ok heres the cover bolted up and again all bolts have been snugged uniformley and tuned a futher 1/4 turn all with a 1/4 drive ratchet!! check in your manual for the torque specs though!!

Heres the slave all fitted in, all with a smear of grease just to aid things nicely into place!! For the lads who have pictures handy does the slave look right on this dowel??? its defo NOT on the piss and all squared up but i would have thought that dowel would have disappered between the cover and the slave??? if someone could help with this that would be greatly appreciated!!

Ok next thing is to route all the wiring, replace any removed cable ties and make sure all your looms are secure and out of the way of the chain!! again if someone could post a pic of how the speedo sensor loom and the kick stand loom are routed, that would be great!!

so there you have it all done and dusted just need to bleed the clutch up and away we go!! P.S does anyone know the make of this old chain??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts