TLZone Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently my TL has the Showa MAL-G01 shock from the F3 CBR with an Eibach spring, I was thinking since Ohlins makes a shock for the CBR600 F3 the would it work on the TLR also?
I have no idea on what the length of the Ohlins unit is but if it were the same would it be another possible option?

I found the Ohlins for the F3 here (3rd one down I believe):

http://www.harris-performance.com/website/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.harris-performance.com/website/acatalog/Online_Catalog_Honda_shocks_92.html&CatalogBody

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
The eye to eye length of the shock you need is 290mm.

If you could reuse your spring it would be a saving.

if you had to revalve the showa to suit then you would need to revalve the Ohlins too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
He is selling ohlins for CBR F3 for 390 GBP and Ohlins for TLR for 500 GBP. Why don't you get the right one for 110 GBP more?

But How you will get it? He is shipping only to mainland UK. If you have a way let me know. I may interested too to get one for this price.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
He is selling ohlins for CBR F3 for 390 GBP and Ohlins for TLR for 500 GBP. Why don't you get the right one for 110 GBP more?

But How you will get it? He is shipping only to mainland UK. If you have a way let me know. I may interested too to get one for this price.
did check the price,its £671!sorry guys!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The reason I'm looking into the F3 Ohlins is once you do the Showa shock mod you modify the frame to where it will no longer accept the normal TLR unit. Plus the TLR Ohlins unit lacks ride height adjustability.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
sorry that length is for an S :banghead

·
Registered
2,026 Posts

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
sorry that length is for an S :banghead
length for TLR ohlins is 253cm!
Which only goes to show S owners are better endowed than R owners :devious :lol

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Im guessing the CBR 600 ohlins would need modification to work with a TL Showa conversion setup. We shortened the F3 shock by quite a bit when we made the new collar and grinded the tab half off so you would need to find a way to shorten the Ohlins F3 by a similar amount.

it might be possible but you would need a close look at it and honestly i cant imagine it being any better than the SHOWA with a good valve kit...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which only goes to show S owners are better endowed than R owners :devious :lol

Yes, but the TLR has the ever so important girth. :borg

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im guessing the CBR 600 ohlins would need modification to work with a TL Showa conversion setup. We shortened the F3 shock by quite a bit when we made the new collar and grinded the tab half off so you would need to find a way to shorten the Ohlins F3 by a similar amount.

it might be possible but you would need a close look at it and honestly i cant imagine it being any better than the SHOWA with a good valve kit...
Good point, I wound't really want to start hacking up an Ohlins unit.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
i could be wrong but check this:
http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Hidden/Recommendationlist/tabid/110/Default.aspx

Part no: SU 806
Type: S46PR1C1
Length: 253mm
Stroke: 49mm
Fits: Suzuki TL 1000 R(1998-2001)
Documents: Mounting instructions
Sorry,you are right indeed :thumbup

I wondered what i had posted in the past since i had both TL Ohlins.

From 5/14/2005

You will be hard pressed to find a coilover damper with the same 253mm centres as the TLR Ohlins.....Koni used to make some short coilovers but that is a longshot...

Ducati 998 and TLR Ohlins 300 and 253mm centres ..300 is a common number.

Even the TLS Ohlin's (damper only) is fairly short at 280mm

A custom install is an option but only as a last resort perhaps:O

·
Registered
526 Posts
soooo. a TLS needs a shock aproxiamatley 290mm inwhich is around 11.417 inches long. I have found that the Ducati 1098 shock is 11.5 inches long. Ducatis really don't use adjustable rate linkages so would these work on the TL?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts