TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i went for a ridew with my friends today.. got stuck in mad trafic in George Town DC so i parked the bike wen tfor pizza and icecream and came back to start it battery is DEAD:banghead luckily the guy that was parked behind me was leaving and happend to have jumping cable so i jumped it and it started.. kept reving it at 5-6k for the battery to charge while my friend put the battery cover back on and all that.. so i drove about 1 mile bike shuts off:confused .. tried turning it on it wouldnt.. so i unhooked my lights and tried it on and it worked,:dowhat hooked the lights back on and drove through traffic.. i had to keep my rpms over 5 K the whole time i was in trafic and guess what the temp was 241.. it went one time to 246 :rant but for the most part it stayed at 239-241 until we hit the highwayabout 8 minutes total.. temp went back to normal at 186 but my friend who was riding behind me said that at times he can see a puff of white smoke .. nothing major.. but i donno if i should worry or not.. if i blew my engine up or not.. it ran really strong all the way home so i donno:O

Ash

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
No need to worry about the temps. I'd fix the electrical stuff before going out again though. I would probably change oil and check antifreeze level for good measure.

have fun

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil was changed less then 500 miles ago and antifreez was my next project before storage and electrical stuff..??? where do i start??? is it becouse i upgraded my lights???

Ash

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
what do ya mean by "upgraded"

My TLS seems to maintain charge just fine with an extra 30wt draw (heated grips). If I add my heated grips and heated vest at the same time, it slowly looses charge. Takes a few hundred miles before it gets low enough not to crank (and thats only in really cold weather) though.

If you added really high wattage lights, its possible they pull more current than the bike can make and thus slowly kill your battery.

good luck

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah Josh .. i think my lights cuz they are 10K sylvania.. 20 bux each at the auto zone thingy.. they are hyper whites.. .. so u think the puff of smoke is nothing to worry about?? im gonna take off the farings and check/clean all the fuses and the elctric connectors and see if any is corroded that might be drawing power while bike is off..

Ash

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Any idea what the wattage of the lights is rated at? I doubt the puff of smoke is anything serious. Holding the motor at higher rpm's like that combined with the high temps probably put a good bit of oil/oil mist into the airbox. As the motor sucked that down, it would have smoked a bit. Its possible that there is a serious problem, but not likely at all. That's hotter than the bike should normally get, but not by a lot and not over the threshold listed in the manual.

You might also want to check that your rad fans are working as they should and think about a manual fan switch if you haven't put one on already.

have fun

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the wattage is 60/55 each:dowhat .. ok couple of things Josh.. the oil is dripping from the bottom of my engine not from inside my pipes and the puf of smoke is from under the bike:confused .. i rode around today and its dripping.. i cant tell exactly from where :O but its all over the oil drain plug:banghead . 2nd thing. i tryed installing the swing arm rubber thing that goes between the swing arm and the chain.. after 3 hours of :rant trying,:rant twisting :rant pushing:rant pulling :rant cursing :rant and being all covered with chain lube:rant i finaly threw in the towel.. i couldnt get it in.. any ideas ? should i take the chain out.. i did take the foot peg and the shifter off.

Ash

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The bulb wattage isn't enough to cause your electrical problem. That could be a reg/rec as PJ said, bad wring, messed up connector, bad bat, loose connection.......

There's a lot of places oil could leak from. I'd pull the belly pan and all that :thatsgay bodywork of and have a look where its comming from. I would also lift the tank and look around in the airbox for oil.

Where's the smoke comming from? Out the tailpipes?

good luck:thumbup

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
battery is 8 monthes old and never sat more than 4 days without driving it.. ive noticed when im in traffic and have the high beems on i get these problems.. the oil isnt coming from the tailpipes its coming from under the bike and from the left side.. could it be the clutch push rode seal and if yes wehre can i get them and how much is a good price.. is it a PITA to change those as im thinkin ill change all the gaskets before i store it for the winter time..

Ash

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
PUSH ROD SEAL IS A PITA but Burnie and Josh know if he they can find time to assist.

I really wish I would have visited Josh and got my suspension setup. Maybe My bike and I would not be lame up right now if I had.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'm ok at setting up suspension but have never messed with a push rod seal. I doubt they are all that hard, I've just never had one leak.

good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts