TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about going to a 16/41 set-up. I have always ridden stock chain and sprockets on my bikes so I must say I am a little scared:scared Just looking for some opinions from anyone who is running or has run with this ratio. What kind of torque should I expect??? Like will my normal roll-on from a light bring my front end up faster than I'm used too. Thank you much.:hail

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just bear in mind that the chain will catch on the rubber slider on top of the swingarm more, and as a result will wear alot faster (well it does on my TLR, 16/39) Apart from that it feels real good on the street:) I'm going 18/43 soon (almost same ratio as 16/39) :thumbup

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
What bike? TLS or TLR? (Add it to your profile)

Go 17F and larger on the rear. (But you'll need a new chain, which isn't a bad idea on new sprockets anyway.)

·
Registered
394 Posts
How can I calculate how many links I need in a chain?

I am currently running -1,+1 and am going to -1,+2 on the Tlr

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Chains are almost always sold in 120link sections, then you just cut to fit - no need to calculate or even count links. Just wrap it around the sprockets with the wheelbase just a little shorter than what you want, cut the chain to fit and rivet it together then adjust for proper tension.

have fun

W

·
0 Posts
sure, go right ahead :)

i'm running 16/40 on the rap, and it's wonderful :yes

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Everyone always talks about how big a difference x sprocket will make and how you won't be able to keep the front wheel down yada yada yada. I had a 41 on the rear and tried a 15 on the front. That's like going 5-6 up in the rear. Nope, no problem keeping the front wheel on the ground. It ran like stink and revved out faster and wore on the rubber guide a lot more, and thus I put my 17 back on.

I say go for it, and those rubber guides are fairly cheap to replace if you need to anyway. I was planning on going 16/43 on mine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
16/41 it is. YEEEEEHAAAAAWWWW!!!!!!!:cheers

·
Registered
179 Posts
I hope that wasn't the Howard Dean scream :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
3,498 Posts