TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Got my 4th TLS about a months ago, still haven't used it as the insurance guy is having troubles... well, sad story.
Anyway, I always found the stock gearing to be too long for my taste. I don't need a 250km/h top speed, I'd definitely prefer to have a more responsive bike.
I'm considering the idea of buying a 17/50 or 17/49 set... anybody tried something like this? According to gearing commander, the top speed should be around 200km/h and I bet it would be a lot of fun in the twisties and when running at low speed. Any experience/idea?
I know this will mess up the tacho, I'm probably going to disconnect it as reading a wrong speed would be annoying.
The bike is stock but has carbon cans (no db-killer), I guess it also has an open air filter but the rest is bone stock.

I'm also considering a set of adjustable bars ala variobar... I liked the high bars a lot but they mess with the stock look and I don't want to do it again. Did it on my last TL as the fairings weren't great but if possible, I'd like to keep the stock look on this one while having a better leverage on the bars (straighter, slightly higher). Any experience?

http://www.forstunt.home.pl/en/honda-f4i/522-forstunt-adjustable-clip-ons-raw-silver.html

Thanks in advance, ride safe.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Hmmmm...... SV650..?

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
I'm running 17/44 with a 40mm swingarm extension on a naked TLS and that will lift the front wheel off the throttle 1-5th, and pull away from stationary in 5th. TBH I'm thinking of gearing it to 17/41 when I next have the sprockets changed, as the fuel mileage is terrible and you have to keep the revs up for highway cruising (70+mph).

I'd expect that running 17/49 or 17/50 would make the bike practically un-useable.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
That's why the suggestion for the SV. Get's off the mark surprisingly quickly. Very nimble and chuckable and with the right pipes on sounds almost like a TL. I don't see much point hacking a TL around when there's something that fits the bill out of the box sitting around, common as muck and dirt cheap. In fact I'd say an SV with a big bore kit is possibly the perfect bike for you Triad. It'd be an absolute scream around mountain twisties and not quite such hard work as a TL.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It makes no sense to downgrade to a 650cc when I have the big brother... I just find the stock gearing too tall :)
Strange that only 5 more teeth on the rear sprocket make such a big difference. Maybe I should check how much slack I have on the chain and just buy a slightly bigger rear sprocket to try it... but a Z44 already needs a longer chain, I guess.

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
I have a big bore gen1 sv with uprated suspension and brakes and it is an absolute hoot to ride fast through the twisties. Its a great litre hunter, as it gets out of the corners quicker :thumbup
Until I got the 748/TLR hybrid it was my favourite for that kind of riding, but the hybrid is soooooooooooo much better! The TLR motor in an small, light and responsive chassis is just an unbelievable combination! That said I have started looking at putting an R motor into a gen1 sv frame with daytona running gear...
With the 17/44 and 40mm extension on the TLS i had to get a 150 link chain and cut it down to size. As anyone who was at donnington will be able to attest to that bike rockets off the line and will happíly wave its front wheel in the air. The gearing also means you can live almost indefinitely in 5th and 6th gear.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'd prefer to power-wheelie all the time than having a 250+ km/h top speed that I never need. Also, my bike has the F00 ECU, so with tall gearing it shouldn't be very smooth at low speed. Shorter gearing would be nice.

·
Moderator,
8,228 Posts
I ran a 16 tooth front sprocket (-1) which was equivalent to a +2.5 of the rear. Yes, it was much more fun to ride in the twisties and more pleasant all around with the lower gearing. I reckon you'll like a +2 or +3 on the rear. :thumbup

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read a smaller front sprocket can give troubles... that the chain will chew the swingarm.

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
Mines got an F00 ecu, bored and flowed tbs, gutted airbox, bellmouths, plus almost every other mod known to TL owners. Have you got a 1/5 throttle insert yet? That makes a massive difference over stock.
17/44 is definitely the most I will go, as I said, so that the bike is useable I will be losing some teeth off the rear sprocket at the next change.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it true that a Z16 front sprocket can cause troubles? 'Cause it would be an easy and cheap mod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I run mine with 17/41. A guy who was fairly quick on a TLS up Shelsley Walsh hillclimb was using that gearing and I find it pretty good for general road and track work. I think 17/49 or 50 would be gearing it too low for anything but continuous monowheeling. I would go back to standard gearing for a long-distance run to extend the distance between fuel stops slightly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My chain adjuster blocks are almost at the end of the swingarm... do you think a 41 rear sprocket would fit? No idea of how much extra chain length it takes if compared to the stock Z39.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think standard gearing is 17/38. I counted the existing number of links and added enough to cover the additional sprocket teeth. 108 links is what I ordered for 17/41.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess there's no way to know if a Z41 rear sprocket will fit the existing chain length :confused
I know I should replace the whole kit altogether, but I'd like to try swapping one sprocket to see if it's worth it.

·
Moderator,
8,228 Posts
I never had any trouble with the 16 tooth front sprocket. Other folks reported that they did. My original intent with the 167 was to see if I like that gearing and then go with +3 on the rear if I did since it was cheap way to give it a try. I just kept the 16 front when I had no problems with it.

Now if Steve shows up, we'll have a whole other discussion on what the 16 might or might not do to the chain. :laugh

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
17/40 will fit with standard chain length, you might get a 41 to fit if you have a used chain on the bike and it is a bit stretched,
I've been running 17/40 for about 17 years now,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts