TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been brought up before.

Has anyone ever ran the Shinko Podiums?
I'm going to givem a try until I can afford some real tread? Metzler, Michelin, Pirelli!

On my old RF900 I ran a set of Shinko Advance's and got about 1800 out of'em riding the mountains of Western North Carolina. There comparable to Metzler M1's for about 3/4's of its tread life then be careful when you reach that point on the Advance's.

Thanks,

·
Registered
420 Posts
one of the guys I work with with an RC51 bought a set of Shinkos. he said if he gets 1800 miles then they will be worth the $150 or something like that. they are out of round and they suck really bad he is so sorry he bought them and he vowed never to do it again. I told him it is not worth the 100 dollars saved but that is just my opinion and his comment to me.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I wouldn't go with cheep tires. IMHO tires make a bigger difference than anything else on a bike and the price difference really isn't all that great, especially when you factor in how long they last. My last pair of Avons (my personal favorite tire) were $225 for the pair. You can generally find most high end tires for $200-$250 online, then mount them yourself and your good to go:thumbup

·
Registered
5 Posts
stinko tyres

just like you i cant afford daft amounts of money for tyres so i usually get mine off ebay or ask around at local bike meets or track days to see if anyone races i get mine fir 1/4 original cost and they have usually only done about 20 or 30 laps you can buy a tyre machine (manual) cheap or just make one by copying the ones for sale on ebay

·
Registered
618 Posts
Never heard of them but I had a set of Cheng Sheng's or something of the sort once back in the late 70's.......they weren't worth the cost of powder to blow them suckers up!.........I'll never ever buy cheap tires again, ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever....Cross my Heart, hope to die, stick a needle in my eye....
Regards Sonny

·
Registered
116 Posts
Shinko were the old Yokohama m/c tyres, cannot recall whom bought the tooling and moulds, perhaps Korea? Have seen them in action and ridden on them, can understand the big temptation to give them a try. In the end you need to understand cheap tyres cost too much if you fling the bike at the fence from poor tyre performance.

As others have mentioned, sometimes a little effort on the deal will get a better result than a simple cheap tyre purchase ie i buy 6-10 BT45's for the older bikes i ride at a similar price to el cheapo tyres at 1 or 2 at a time. The BT45 is excellent and i have confidence when riding on them wet or dry.
HTH

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Well I haven't got much experiance with different types of tires but I will never buy any tour like tires ever again! I think I can brake harder with my pilot powers in the wet then with the bt020's in dry weather! Now hows that for safety..! And a friend of mine has over 6000km with his mpp rear tire (cbr6f4) so..

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have hte BTO20's and I agree. In the summer they heat up ok and give good grip, but they dont heat up fast enough and they feel very hard in colder weather.

Is it normal for the front to feel as if it is sliding through the corner? The rear is about done, a few burnouts dont do well for the BT020's.

What tires heat up quick and wear well? I plan to do some highway traveling this next summer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
i will stand by this statement. i run tomahawk retreads. still have my first set of street tires on. (granted i put them on early last spring '05 and haven't ridden a lick this year since my bike is out of commission) and i have used their slicks on trackdays. both with positive results. you can't beat the price and wear. as for grip and feel.... you will never get a cheap tire to run like a dunlop,michelin, etc. i have run race take offs for years and finally decided it wasn't worth running a tire for 800-1000 miles and then doing it all over again. if you are considering tire traction as fault for an accident then obviously you are running way too fast on the street and need to go elsewhere. ride on the street use street tires for mileage and traction. need grip on the track run race tires. you can't have both. just like cars. you can't have mileage and power in the same vehicle. (nix that if your talking diesels)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
When I got my second-hand TLR in August 2005, it was shod with Shinko tires... front "Raven" and rear "Stealth." Riding the bike that summer was terrifying... the tires would not grip... going into corners was taking my life into my hands. According to the product literature, these were their "high performance tires for the street." What a load of BS. The dealer put these cheapy, sporty-looking tires on just so the bike would pass a safety...

Over the winter I invested in a set of Michelin Power Race tires... bingo... turned the bike into a REAL bike... confidence returned...

I will NEVER buy Shinko tires, nor recommend them to anyone based on my experience.

FWIW...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
**** SHINKO.. on the street if you got caught in any wet you were ****ed.. like ice skates

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't know how much Shinko tires cost but you can find good prices on good last gen tires like Metz m1s or something similar. Buy online, remove your wheels and take them to the dealer for installation. Too much at stake to rely on unproven tires.

·
Registered
294 Posts
hmm since i got my first sport bike ive run race take off's, but then again i do my own tire change's and balancing. i have since then started running good performance street tires like Mez3 and the BT014's ive gotten great grip out of those. i have also hooked up witha guy who must get them off crashed bikes or something and i get them fairly cheap and sell the ones i dont use. i recently picke up a shinko stealth front tire it doesnt seem to bad, but i havent pushed it hard either due to the colder weather weve begun to have here in the north. i do know one thing you cant compair michelin pilot race's to a street tire, thats a apples and orange's thing. the street tire shouldnt be exspected to perform to the same standard as the race. like another said just by good street tires for street, and if your pushing the tires to the point where you are losing grip on the street then you need to be on the track hehe ive seen others run them, i know they have a good rep with the drag racers, but i think they make a drag specific tire though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Put shinkos on my tls straight after I installed my bitubo and removed the steering dampner the bike never felt so good. Dont have a problem with them and at $180 Aussie dollars for a set fitted it is hard to go wrong.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you are looking for a decent "cheap" tire option, I'd look into the Maxxis sport tires. I believe they are the SuperMaxx. They are not terrible, they're not up to the spec of the higher end brands but they are not bad. I tried a set for the last set of tires I bought. They got pretty good mileage and they stuck fairly good. The only problem I had was that they are a little stiff and don't heat up super quick. I road them in rain, shine, and everything in between.

That said I like the BT-10's I'm running now a whole lot more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts