TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilt 99 R motor, 02 tranny had 3000 miles new shift forks...doesnt shift smoothly mostly downshifting ,you have to put alot of pressure on the shifter and its hard to get into neutrel from 2nd it jumps straight into first...still have in some cheap 30w breakin oil.Could it be a clutch problem...upshifts smoothly without the clutch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
I'm betting you've probably thought of this,but,have you made sure your chain tension is right.A loose chain will make shifting difficult and damn hard to find neutral.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tomez said:
I'm betting you've probably thought of this,but,have you made sure your chain tension is right.A loose chain will make shifting difficult and damn hard to find neutral.
thats not the problem,it upshifts alright but downshifting you have to use alot of pressure and almost force it into the next gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
I accidentally found out that my shifting was more difficult when I slightly overfilled the oil. Drained it back down to the proper level and slick shifting once again. Hope it's something that simple. :O
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,462 Posts
I'd simply go for not disengaging properly on the clutch - if you turn the engine off and move as you find neutral, is it better then? Prob bad adjustemtn if so?

beyond that, check the shft retrurn spring/roller/indent. Could be broke/loose? (behind small cover) I dont think its the drum, but can always be the shift fork/s bent.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,892 Posts
:stupid sounds like the clutch is dragging a lot. The 30wt oil might have something to do with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clutch is definately dragging,if you barely let out the lever it starts to take off..oil has already been changed but still same prob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
I was experiencing a similar feeling when some air got inside the clutch circuit... The clutch wasn't being COMPLETELY disengaged when I squeezed the lever. Try bleeding the clutch line, and look for air bubbles... make sure your reservoir is topped off before bleeding so you don't suck any more air into the line :) Good luck, let us know how it goes.
fastvtwin said:
The clutch is definately dragging,if you barely let out the lever it starts to take off..oil has already been changed but still same prob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fiqured out what the problem was,when i put the clutch in i didn't realize there was a spring washer seat already in the basket so i ended up having 2 flat ones and the spring washer itself, which put enough pressure to keep the clutch engaged a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
Interesting, although a rather isolated case, still good to know
fastvtwin said:
Fiqured out what the problem was,when i put the clutch in i didn't realize there was a spring washer seat already in the basket so i ended up having 2 flat ones and the spring washer itself, which put enough pressure to keep the clutch engaged a bit.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top