TLZone Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
replaced it with a new one as it broke. Has the weight of three gears (i think?) and me pulling on the cases like a mad man. The new one on i had to give a good tap to get the shaft to seat in the case well. Replaced it with a 18x2 ring.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
Sounds OK, as long are you're happy :thumbup

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hell if i know if im happy... ill tell you in the next 3K miles.:O seemed to fit with a good solid "plunk" much better than the original ring which all just "fell" into place. i guess you tell me if that is good or not? :confused As stated before i know enough to be dangerous and i hate learning from mistakes when they are this expensive.

·
15,420 Posts
:laugh

I've never had the gears fall off over the O Ring before, thats what worried me, but if you've replaced the O ring then it will be ok, just smear a little oil on it to stop it getting damaged when pushing into the bearing (if it's not too late and the cases are now bolted up :devious)

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Good day Sam... Putting my gear box back together... just got tired of trying to get the output shaft in the bearing without zero force. Figured i would put in the Freezer overnight to get that Billionth of a mm clearance. Have you ever done that to the output shaft, I'm hoping it will drop right onto the bearing and seat nicely. Yes this is an old thread, but being in the midst of this i thought would be ok here. :)

In reference to that lil O ring on the counter shaft... i did the same thing... broke it getting the old one out... substituted another and got it to work.. don't even know the size... just got one that was close and slipped it into place.. Must have been OK as i rode all over the state issue free. Well... got a new zuki unit for this round. Did not realize it was a seal for that shaft to build oil pressure. Glad i bought the new part now!!

Really looking forward to getting the old girl back on the road after 3 yrs of sitting!!

·
15,420 Posts
Sometimes the shaft just slides into the bearing, other times a couple of gentle taps with a copper mallet.

But I always put some assembly lube on the shaft and bore of the bearing. Also plenty of oil on the input shaft O ring.

Always use genuine Suzuki gearbox bearings on the sprocket/clutch seal side as they are special rubber sealed versions to create oil pressure to the gears through the input/output shafts. If you use normal off the shelf 1RS bearings you'll soon have 1st gear seized on the output shaft as its the furthest point from the oil pump.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Thanks for the tips Sam! 👍 Yes... got the shaft in with a few taps of my dead blow plastic hammer.... lots of assembly lube. I am using the Redline stuff... supposed to be good, worked the last time i put this motor together. lol. As for the bearings.... i have some hybrid ceramic units from World Wide Bearings in it.These are the same i had in it from the last time. They have the oil seals on them.

The lil o ring on the end of the other trans shaft was a bit hard... the new suzuki unit should do a bit better. Now i gotta let the Suzuki bond cure... and get the pistons cleaned up and installed in the cylinders....looking forward to getting the beast back on the road again soon!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts