TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I rode past a Shell servo and saw an advertisement for
"Shell V-Power" So whats this? Is it a replacement for shell optimax or another type of high performance petrol.. I dont buy optimax anyhow so I would'nt know.

Any info would be appreciated..

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
:dunno

Sounds like a TL fuel though, I'll have to wait until they release "Shell I4-power" :laugh

·
Registered
52 Posts
just a new name for optimax:confused

gives the marketing dept something to do i guess:confused

·
Registered
465 Posts
I tried some today, as mickyinaus said i think its just a new name i just checked to make sure it wasn't like the United premium that has suger cane in it.:dowhat

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I decided to google it. Looks like it's called v-power in the US and UK too.

New Shell V Power leaves Shell Optimax behind.

The creators of Shell Optimax, Australia's first premium performance fuel, are proud to announce the introduction of their new performance fuel. New Shell V-Power with Friction Modification Technology is designed to give you better responsiveness and improved performance in comparison with Shell Optimax, the fuel that it replaces.
Here's the AU blurb.

And here's Shell v-power for bikes.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I decided to google it. Looks like it's called v-power in the US and UK too.

..and the rest of Europe....
They claim it gives more power and leaves the motor cleaner with less residue in the cylinders...
The other day they had a car in an exhibition, modded in a way that they could give this fuel in two of the cylinders of the car and the other two had normal gasoline.
It was clear that those with the V-Power were in a very good shape (they had a device with a tube camera inserted in the cylinders) and the other cylinders were dirty like hell...
Who knows... it could be a trick..
What I know is that I have tried it a couple of times and didn't notice any difference besides the price... It is way more expensive..... :coocoo

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
One of the good things with it is that U get the same thing every time U fill up your tank the quality of the V-power is supposed to be the same werever U go and more stabilized then regular 95 or 98.

Thats what I was told by the guy who dynoed the TL and he has been racing for years drag and track and got mad skills when it comes to bikes :hail

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Yep, use it all the time in the Tillis :hail

·
Moderator,
8,244 Posts
Like Steve said, it's been V-Power here in the States for a while. I suspect they're just standardizing marketing. Shell has consistently received very high marks for the quality of it's gasoline/petrol during independent testing. I've never had any trouble from running it in anything. I can't say that about several other big name brands.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
My sister was working for Shell when optimax was released out here. They put it in some select premium unleaded petrol tanks in a few servo's before the official release / marketing etc. They were getting letters and phone calls from people wanting to know what they had done to their PULP and please don't change it back etc. Obviously in some vehicles it made a real difference.

I use it if it's available, but don't don't go out of my way for it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I put the V Poer stuff in a couple of weekends ago. Haven't had a chance to try out the bike since then but the labels on the pump said something along the lines of 100% octane.
I could be wrong (and most likely I am)

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Yup, I've always laughed and figured they were targeting TL's on that one.

Then I realized it must be really crappy fuel and wouldn't touch the stuff since in reality it's probably formulated for Harley's! :laugh

·
Registered
184 Posts
there is V-power and there is V-power race.

V-power is a straight rename of optimax and is 98 octane with no ethanol and is what you get at most servos.

V-power race is only at a few servos (there is one in Brissney) it is 100 octane and has some ethanol in it.

I stopped using optimax a while back and only used BP Gold (or whatever their premium fuel is). My mechanic reckoned the optimax left too much gum residue in the carby's (yeah carby's - this is my race bike not the TL).

I haven't tried the V-power race but might give it a shot. Would probably be cheaper than Elf 100 and presumably you don;t have to have a race licence to buy it like you do with Elf.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Its all pumped from the same plant into different trucks. :lol its just a higher octane with addatives.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
and higher density

Oh we have more than one Petrol refinery / company supplying us a Mobil refinery in Altona Vic does 50% of Victoria's petrol and 13% of the Country's, there are other refineries / companies supplying the rest of the country's fuel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts