TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all the guys living here in Japan, do any of you know if we can get rotella oil here? I'll be up for an oil change soon and don't want to pay big bucks. I hear it's pretty cheap in the States and am hoping it will be reasonable here.
Thanks

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...I've been trying to get the NEX on base to carry it but they currently don't...

I've never seen it off base...

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...the NEX always changes what they carry so I don't think I've ever seen the same brand of motorcycle oil more than two times in a row when I've needed to change my oil... I usually use Motul from the bike shop but Shimizu gives me a good deal on it (for Japan prices)...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have been using some stuff I got for free (Castrol Superbike Oil) from a friend who used to race 600's here, but he's gone back to Oz and I've almost run out of the stuff he gave me. I may try the motul.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
You might be able to find other similar diesel rated oil. Mobile Delvac is similar to Shell Rotella and I'm sure there are others that are equally good.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bikepilot, I was wondering what you meant by diesel rated oil. Is rotella rated as such? I did a quick check and it seems as if the mobil delvac might be available here, but I don't know if it's suitable for bikes.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Look for Rimula.

We don't have Rotella anymore, haven't had it for a while. Maybe Japan is the same.

Shell Rimula Ultra XT 5W-40 is a synthetic diesel engine oil.
Shell Rimula Ultra 10W-40 is a synthetic diesel engine oil.
Shell Rimula Super 15W-40 is a dino oil.

Check the Shell website for your market.

(Rotella is a diesel engine oil)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Bikepilot, I was wondering what you meant by diesel rated oil. Is rotella rated as such? I did a quick check and it seems as if the mobil delvac might be available here, but I don't know if it's suitable for bikes.
Yeah, its Rotella, Delvac etc are intended for diesel truck engines. It just so happens that the requirements for diesel truck engine oil is about the same as that for motorcycle engine oil. Delvac would be just fine in bikes I belive. I haven't used it because rotella is easier for me to get ahold of, but if if it were the other way around I'd use delvac or whatever was handy.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
@Steve: So Rimula is the same as Rotella, just for other markets?

Greetings
Rufer

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
From what I can work out it is Rufer. We used to have Rotella, but it's gone. All of Shell's diesel engine oil is listed as Rimula.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
BP, SteveTLS, Rufer, thanks for the info...

...dogsoup, I'll see what brands/types of diesel oil we have down here and let you know...

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
@Steve: So Rimula is the same as Rotella, just for other markets?

Greetings
Rufer
Maybe. What makes Rotella such a good oil is the phosphous and zinc content which greatly decreases wear to metal parts. Too bad they also cause no end of problems with catalytic converters. We don't have those on diesels here yet (they are coming though) and I believe you already do. It may be that Rimula is reformulated to exclude or greatly decrease the phosphorous/zinc content to make it compatible with the converters. Then again I'm tired and may just be rambling. If that's true though, those of you who like to run Rotella may want ot lay in a good sized supply since it will probably go away with the advent of converters on diesels here in the States.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I don't think there is a lot of difference in phosphour and zinc between everyday automotive oil and large diesel engine oil these days. EPA has cut the levels right down. It used to be high in motorcycle specific oil too, but it got pulled down to auto levels a long time ago too.

It's last resort protection to try and prevent metal to metal when there is not enough of an oil film, not something that gives you a benefit in everyday / general running.

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
Actually, you need that "last resort" protection every time you start the engine before the oil pressure "gets up" since this is when most engine wear occurs. This is especially true for the cam(s) and is what made these additives so important. There was a lot of hand wringing when they were removed from automotive oil here since for a period of time cam failures became all too prevalent. The end result was a change in how the cams were made to make up for the lack of protection originally provided by the additives. I'm too lazy to go find the source, but I'm sure Rotella still has the high levels of these additives since diesels here don't have to deal with catalytic converters yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts