TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody used these before? Cycle gear is having a really good deal on them on black friday. Figured I'd check and see if anybody liked/hated them.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Is that like 606 but, umm with 101 adde3d? :laugh

I've never heard of them.

·
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know, forgot about that brand, they could be affiliated. Maybe it's their street division.

Anyway, their stuff looks pretty good and is only a little less expensive than Scorpion's stuff. However, the CycleGear ad I got has them discounted to like $50 from $120. Seems like it might be worth a shot. I just wanted to put a feeler out to see if anyone had any experience with them yet.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5000&L2=1&L3=101&L4=&item=JTC_XP507-STRK-BLK-XS_G&tier2=3228

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5000&L2=1&L3=101&L4=&item=JTC_XP507-BLK-XS_G&tier2=3228

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
never heard of them :dunno

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Personally I won't wear anything with a poly-xyz shell. In my unscientific testing and statistically insignificant observation they bounce like a rubber ball and break head bones where a laminate shell'd lid tends to crush and go thud. DOT and Snell testing as best I can ascertain only tests absorption of initial impact and does not test rebound forces (unfortunately neither organization publishes much about how testing is done, so this is mostly guess work).

My testing was to take an old KBC polycarbonate lid and an old fox carbon/kevlar lid and drop them both on a cement driveway. the polycarb lid bounced to about knee height, the kevlar lid didn't bounce at all. I then threw them down with some force, the polycarb lid bounced about 15' high, the fox lid bounced to about knee height.

For observation, a guy I used to ride with fell off his YZ125 on a fairly mild 3rd gear (for him) straight and bounced down the trail. Didn't look bad, but he required $25k worth of Ti to put his face backtogether. The helmet never came off, but the side of his head bounced off the inside of the helmet hard enough to break his cheakbone and push his eyesocket back into his head a bit. Didn't look fun. Can't say for sure the same would have happened with a laminated lid, but this combined with my driveway bounce test is enough that I'm not interested in doing any live testing:)

What size lid do you need? I've got an Arai that doesn't fit me quite right....

·
Moderator,
8,250 Posts
That sounds more like a poorly fitted helmet than a yproblem with it bouncing ,Josh.

·
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting info. The more I read the less I put into Snell and DOT testing really. I mean, yea, it's good to have both but the testing is always a little suspect I think.

My helmet is nearing end of life for the normal life expectancy, in fact it's probably expired by what the helmet companies will tell you, so I'm kind of shopping but have to watch the budget at the moment with everything else going on in my life at the moment. I wear a medium helmet and have been fairly happy with my Arai, though I did have a few construction issues with it. Just have been keeping my eyes open for some deals and saw those helmets in the store and hadn't heard of them, then I got the mailer and started thinking.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've never heard of them either. One flaw I see is that when turned upside down they become "LOL" helmets. Helmets are no laughing matter. Sorry, it was too easy and tempting, my bad.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That sounds more like a poorly fitted helmet than a yproblem with it bouncing ,Josh.
Could be, though it appeared to fit him well from what I could tell. There's still the drive-way bounce too:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts