TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some tinking in my last days to waste time and stuff.

Anyways

Is it possible to install Exchange server 2003 as a standalone on a Win2K3 standalone server box?

Web documents or locations to techie information explaining it.

I'm going to miss the software I had access to.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn Typo's... I meant "Tinkering".:banghead

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
not 100% sure, but on win2k3 i think it gives you the option to select what apps to install. you could prolly just leave out IIS and all that, and just install exchange (99% sure you can do it...i don't run windows servers though, good god no!).

Del tinker with LAMP setups instead. Anything windows can do, LAMP can do better. Lloyd might know better about the win2k3. :O

-:banana

·
Systems lackey,
86 Posts
Exchange will bitch and moan unless there is an AD install somewhere it can see and use. If you have a testbox, just set it up as PDC and install exchange on it. Last I checked though, you can just ignore it and install it, exchange is evil though. Every admin i know who is forced to work with it despises it, and avoids using it at all costs. I know of at least two opensource mail servers that were started due to the creator hating exchange so much.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
It's gotta be better than Notes. I HATE Notes.

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
Exchange will bitch and moan unless there is an AD install somewhere it can see and use. If you have a testbox, just set it up as PDC and install exchange on it. Last I checked though, you can just ignore it and install it, exchange is evil though. Every admin i know who is forced to work with it despises it, and avoids using it at all costs. I know of at least two opensource mail servers that were started due to the creator hating exchange so much.
of course i can think of a few opensource mail servers that were started because of the programmers hatred of the opensource mail servers started in response to exchange :laugh

maybe this is the computer geek version of the "oil question"

-:banana

1 - 6 of 6 Posts