TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after literally thousands of dollars, and 100+ man hours of labor, I finally got this damn bike running amazing. No leaks. No knocks. No hesitation. Simply beautiful. I just spent the last 3 hours crawling through traffic in 100+ degree Texas heat to finish the bike off with new tags, inspection, and registration for the year. Finally 100%!!!

On the way back to work I crack the throttle for a small victory wheelie, nothing new for me, then I hear crack... crack... Now the ****ing thing acts like the chain is skipping teeth in 1st & 2nd at high RPMs! Sure it could just be worn sprockets, or a tight spot in the chain (even though it never did it before), but in reality... we all know WTF it is! I'll go out and inspect it in a few minutes. If it does in fact turn out to be the gears, I'm done. I'll be listing parts. You all know how much I love my TLRs, but this damn thing is nothing more than a money pit :rant

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ouch~!!!!
Hopefully its not the gear.

Check your chain slack as well.
I've only had that happen to me Once on one of my previous bikes.
Ended up being too much slack in the chain.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my 17 years of riding, this is a first.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You did notice the teeth were getting a tiny bit out of shape?
The teeth looked fine when I had the tire off last month.

Still, I'll take that over splitting the case any day. Can you believe I rode it 14 miles back to the house like that. Stranger yet, it drove smooth :confused

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Those teeth didn't get like that in one short trip. Crash is right in saying a mismatched chain/sprockets setup will cause that kind of damage but even so that looks like some distance has been put on that cog. Josh, what are you using for chain lube? Grinding paste? :laugh

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the first time I've heard the term "chain pitch". I just asked my mechanic (back when I used one) to put a new quality chain on there. Had it for two years. Seems to be some math involved based on initial research. I will need to spend some time on this topic tomorrow.

... Josh, what are you using for chain lube? Grinding paste? :laugh
Give me a moment to brace myself.... I don't lube the chain :blush I used to apply the Bel-Ray chain grease, but got sick of it splattering all over my rim. Now I just apply some WD-40 to a cloth and ride the chain over it.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great... I rode 14 miles calling Clyde every name in the book, and now I have to go out in the garage and apologize to him for being a dumb ass

:doh

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
Buy a bottle of scottoil (and a new chain and sprocket set :lol)

Once a week after a ride pop the bike on the paddock stand and using a paintbrush apply scottoil liberally to all surfaces of the chain. Leave it for a few hours then go out with an old rag and wipe all the excess off. First ride you will get a bit of splatter, but 5mins with a can of WD-40 and a clean rag will have the wheel spotless.

Been doing this for the last year on all my bikes and swear by it!

Oh, and this might explain 'chain pitch'

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Once a week after a ride pop the bike on the paddock stand and using a paintbrush apply scottoil liberally to all surfaces of the chain. Leave it for a few hours then..
It's the rollers that need lube right? why grease the lot, wouldn't that attract dirt?

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
Exact opposite in fact. By using scottoil I have chains with 20,000miles + on them still looking brand new with hardly any adjustment. I will try and get a pic later today, if I can borrow the mrs camera. lol

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Scottoilers are good. Messy but good.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's the rollers that need lube right? why grease the lot, wouldn't that attract dirt?
It's actually only the inner O-ring seals that require the grease, but good luck being that precise with a spray can.

...By using scottoil I have chains with 20,000miles + on them still looking brand new with hardly any adjustment. ...
My chain still looks and functions as new after 12k miles as well. With no adjustments made, and completely free of any noticeable defects. I don't want to give the impression that I've neglected my chain, because that is not the case. Every few weeks I go over it with degreaser, clean the hell out of it, then hit the inner seals with some WD-40. Just enough to keep them from drying out. Obviously no one will ever recommend not applying chain grease at regular intervals, except for maybe me :) however not doing so is not the chain-death-sentence that some may have us believe. The chain will NOT stretch if it's not lubed. They key is protecting the inner seals.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts