TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a used 98 TLR and seem to be having trouble with the throttle. It wants to lung in a corner with even a little touch of the throttle. I thought it might be a problem with the throttle cables but adjusted them today and still there. I then thought it might be that the previous owner put on a TRE. But not sure where to look to see if there is one. I'm not a racer just want a bike that is drivable for every day use, and right now it is scary in slower corners because it jumps easily. There is no slow power on. Any help, thanks

:banghead

·
Moderator,
8,234 Posts
Setting the TPS and balancing the throttle bodies will make a good bit of difference. If it's till a bit too jerky for you, a PC III will finish off the job. Make sure it's not just that you are in too high a gear for the engine rpm too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Setting the TPS and balancing the throttle bodies will make a good bit of difference. If it's till a bit too jerky for you, a PC III will finish off the job. Make sure it's not just that you are in too high a gear for the engine rpm too.
Thanks for the answer, I had a tlr 1999 back in 1999 and it never did this. There is no smooth throttle at all. It almost like an on off switch. Even trying to barely give it gas makes it jump. I have to go real slow through a corner because if I try to go, lets say in second gear, around a neighborhood street and I'm going maybe 20-25, I'll try to roll out of the corner it will jump and try to put me in the on coming lane. I was going down my street today after making the adjustments and no matter how light i turned the throttle it jumped. The only thing I have done to the bike since I got it last week was cut out the tunnels in the air box that are under the flappers to let it breath. would that do it?

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
are you sure the pipes are all reconnected or blanked as required after pulling the airbox. is the chain too loose. Follow the wires down the clutch side to the engine. part way down is a connector to the gear position sensor the wires are pink green and black. if this plugs straight to the harness no tre tre sits in here. you havent mentioned if the bike was like this the day you bought it or after you had a tinker.
you say it only happens in corners, maybe the throttle cables are run incorrectly and are excessively tight when the bars are turned. maybe they are frayed and hanging then come free with a rush. maybe it runs on one then on two cylinders. ( mine does this sometimes. it goes from 50 posible horses to 125.)
in fact this sounds more likely if the throttle body balance is way out.

thats me im out of ideas
cheers stu

·
Moderator,
8,234 Posts
TPS and throttle bodies, just do them and then see where you are with the problem - or most likely, lack of the problem.

·
Registered
623 Posts
When I put a TRE on my tls the 2500-3000rpm stumble was 90% better. If all the above does not fix it try the TRE.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Hows your cush drive? :O

I've gone through a couple and experienced jumpy roll on conditions as a result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts