TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do?

Our attic is unused because it's two hard to get up there. Currently the access is through the closet and you need a step latter.

There is no ventilation but a window could be put in at some future date to allow a room AC unit.

In the attic there is about 6'10" wide area down the center of the house. A six foot person could stand upright no problem.

Here's the question. Should we put in a set of stairs to get in the attic well working on the wall unit? Would you do it for the added storage space? It would be a decent train hobby area or maybe a kid’s play area at times but outside of that I’m not sure if it would be beneficial.

See this thread

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79250

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Dell, your attic should have vents on each end of the house, around the lower outside edges (sophets SP?) and probably along the ridgeline of the roof.

Still, attics are not ment to be climate controlled and it would be very expensive engergy wise to keep it warm in the winter and cool in the summer unless you do some major mods to it.

My attic isn't all that useful as most of the house has vaulted cealings. For access I have stairs that fold down, makes it easy to get up there for storage and such, quite handy. If it were me I'd put in fold-down staris for access/storage use but wouldn't try to make it a play area or living space.

have fun

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was just thinking of storage area for the most part but not sure if it would be worth it.

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
Go with storage area. I know I can always use extra space to put things.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I guess that would depend on how much stuff you have that you'd like to store. Keep in mind that attic temps will be about like outside temps in the winter and can easily reach 140 deg F in the summer so you don't want to store any tempature sensitive stuff up there.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would not be hard to add a window AC unit but still not sure if it's worth the cost for the space. Might improve the house value a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts