TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently painted my bike, and I noticed the hump was scuffing the paint where the rear of the hump contacted the tail fairing. I was trying to come up with the best way to provide some padding between the hump and the tail fairing. This fix can also provide a good seal to protect anything you may have in your "trunk" against rain water... I was more concerned with the spliced wires I had in there for my flush mounted signals.... This whole thing is very simple, and costs less than $10 at Home Depot.

Here are the materials I used

The rubber foam weather seal has one adhesive side. I just left the adhesive side covered, and I applied the JB Weld to the WIDE side of the foam stripping, and I placed the stripping about 1/8 inch from the very edge of the lip.

You can cut it into pieces, or just unroll one long strip and add JB weld as you go. Make sure you apply the stripping quickly before the mixed JB weld starts to harden. The final application provides a nice cushion for the "hump" lid, and you cannot see it when it is on the bike.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
good idea. i tried it on the tail with not so good results. never though to put it on the hump!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I added rubber bumpers to the plastic posts that rest on the rubber pads on the subframe so that the hump never touches the tail section plastic:) I'm sure either way works just fine though:thumbup

·
Registered
263 Posts
instead of JB weld, use 3M weatherstrip adhesive, not nearly as messy, and dries almost instantly. I have used that shit on rear diffs, exhaust flanges, tranny pans, and some other things i care not to mention. This is seriously amazing stuff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts