TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just gauging who is interested in a week in Scotland at the end of May next year, date will be whit week and looking to plan for around 6 nights touring.
I will post details later but want to gauge interest so I can involve interested parties with the planning so we can tailor it to meet our needs

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
That was fast.J/B..me..me..me... poss one other.. names Ed gsxr 1000 '06

Tornado ..looking for suggestions of good routes in your area.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
thats already in the itinerary ..hopefully.

thinking 2-3 different places to stayover.2-3 nights at each place.so we arnt carrying allour gear on each ride out.hold on a mo...this is what I sent Posh johnny earlier.

Right. Ive asked a around abit and the consensus is not to spend too much time in the top right Thurso / Wick ..its known as the flow contry and as the name suggests its a bit flat and desolate..even trees gave up trying to get a foot hold theres nothing much over about 10 foot tall not a place for a wet and windy day. However It may be nice to go to john o groats...just to say we have been The north coast has dramatic rather than beautiful scenery, sea cliffs etc.
Far nicer is the west coast and the middle bit where we spent out time this yr. I have heard from a few people that missing out the area around Ullapool was a mistake as apparently its beautiful . The Applecross peninsular is gorgeous and the road (singular) would be an interesting couple of hrs or more .Applecross (the village) has a good hotel/food and is a recomended stop ,mibbie overnight.Also next yr we should visit skye and perhaps one of its distilleries.(unless they have shut down that is).Taliskers spring to mind.
St Andrews is a nice town with a decent night life ,students(...albeit posh ones) galore and is the home of golf .! Inverness is a nice city and may be good base for a couple of days as is Aberdeen both are a good night out.You wont understand a word they say ...its difficult for me at times .
Starting the scotland trip with The ferry ( 20 mins) from Gourock(west of Glasgow to Dunnoon starts you off on some of the best bits of Scotland.Follow the A815 from Dunnoon till it joins theA83 then left to Inveraray then onto lochgilphead and up to oban and on to kinlochleven/ Glencoe.Carrying on north from here takes you up to fortwilliam and beyond.The A-85 from oban to tyndrum or vica versa is worth a go the bridge just north of oban ,the connel bridge goes over what is a fairly decent salt water waterfall.
Are we considering breaking up the North ward journey with a stop in the borders/lakes?

i would think Its worth asking Tornado about the area around inverness.The peninsular near by at fortrose may be worth a lunch stop as theres a chance of seeing the pod of bottle nose dolphins as they are the largest in the world and make fairly regular appearances. Mibbie a visit to RAF leuchars (sp) could be arranged.

So the accom..Ive only scratched the surface..are we looking for cheap and chearful ( ie more basic than last yr) like some of the communual bunk houses 10-15 quid a night..or pukka bnb accom £30+.
Certainly there are more than a few hotels/ Pubs that have them which allows for easy food and drinking access. I have to say the bunk houses ,as long as people dont mind the more basic decor allow for a feeling of freedom as far as kicking back and relaxing is concerned and help with the group atmosphere...

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you do touring it usually involves travelling some distance from your home, this year we travelled 1500 miles in 4 days. When you do that sort of mileage it doesn't really matter how far from your home you go!

If you can entertain us with 2000 of excellent scenery, awesome roads and only a handful of cars on the road we could consider hosting on the south coast.
:laugh :laugh :laugh

:thumbup

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
tlsgreen said:
fookin long way for us down south
The clue is in the title...Scotland trip.
Your only 420 miles from Glasgow ..........long way ,MY ARSE!

the ride out had some of us doing well over 500 miles ..I covered 570, Paul Haydock a similar distance:hail .....and he is still recovering from being T boned..he isnt even back at work yet...

In all seriousness It would be nice to meet you but youve got to put in the effort...whining pooooofta....:laugh

I refer you to my new avatar..:thatsgay

.Cheers Johnny I knew it would come in handy....:lol

Have I provoked you to join us yet!:)

no offence mate but get off your arse.:) j/k

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
some accomodation..although I would prefer the hostel/bunk house type at £10 pppn rather than hotel bnb at £30+pppn.:O there are loads more out there and I am still looking.I am just trying to find all the nice areas whilst keeping down cost..its early days.. Some if not all the bunk houses have large communual sleeping/living arrangements but am sure will have some privacy or separate sleeping for any girlys and couples if required.

http://www.clachaig.com/ is at the west end of glencoe...good pub and nice roads as you know..mibbie a bit expensive

http://www.glencoehostel.co.uk virtually next door to clachaig .. has a few options like the bunk house, cottage, log cabins( little more than huts ) and hostel. I like the clachaig as a pub and staying here would be nice me thinks.

http://www.macdonaldhotel.co.uk at kinlochleven theres this one but for some reason dont fancy it...it may be that the website plays 'Scotland the Brave' on a stylophone

http://www.tailraceinn.co.uk/ at kinlochleven bike friendly by the looks of the website..recomended by a co-worker who walks the west highland way quite often.there are loads of bnbs nearby also

http://www.applecross.uk.com/inn/ this is a beautiful area.....may be worth an overnight stop here.

Also Plockton is lovely www.plockton.com and handy for a day on skye

·
Registered
918 Posts
pencil me in for a couple of nights. I won't be able to get an all week pass out!
There's some stunning roads up there.
Try and make the effort to get up, and you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
missing ullapool was a massive mistake!

up the west to J.O'G and down the middle to perth (the scenic way, not a9) with a night out in st andrews sounds good

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
May be interested but won't know till nearer the time. I also go off to the T.T.(end of may) and usually go on holiday a couple of weeks before that( sweeten the missis up before TT:devious ) I will try my best even if it is only for a couple of days:banghead :thumbup :bwtiller

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
BMF will be around the weekend of the 20th May and I will be on the Island for 16 nights from 25th May.

Maybe will be able to meet Mrs M and the Haddock? :O

Want to do a TL Birthday Bash at the BMF too.....

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This sounds like it could get complicated
I will co organise the trip with those who commit to the whole trip, anyone planning a couple of days will have to tie in with the rest of us.
Once route has been planned I will look to book accomodation, this again I will book for the definates, I will expect to pay a deposit and would like payment for such, in my opinion it creates a bit of commitment from people.
I do not want to be out of pocket, having booked a whole bunk house.
Last year we had 7 and the number was managable, if numbers far exceed this we may have to run a couple of groups, but meeting up for lunch/fag breaks etc, and of course the evening festivities.

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
Posh Johnny said:
This sounds like it could get complicated
You're not wrong there.........................

Especially as I would like DaveC ang UKGeff to put in an appearance............

For purely ultruistic, social and alcoloic reasons you understand... :thumbup

and 'cos I've bought the ribbon....... :devious

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
tlsgreen said:
If I can get the time off and it doesnt clash with the BMF im seriously considering it!
BMF is usually the week before,:) as ted has already said.
won't be able to make it for your scotland trip though as it will be our first trip of the year to the nurburgring that weekend, can't miss that as we always have a great time there

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
If I can get the week off ( oh no, i'm saying that again, arnt i?)
I would LOVE to come on this trip...

just one question: which actual dates are we talking about?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts