TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride with an old friend I'd not seen in years, on Saturday ... me on the TLR, he on his 900SS and we went for a fang through the local twisties then decided we'd head over to Suzuka to have a look at the Twin Ring Circuit ...

... well whaddya know? There's a track day in progress and - Triumph dealer is doing a test ride day!
Hirofumi does some sweet talking at the gate and we get in for free, sign up and then toddle off for lunch to pass the time till the test ride starts.

Got back a little early and enjoyed watching the track day guys - stand out bikes were a wicked 900SS with full exhaust system (sounded almost as good as the TL ) a sweet 748 and an RC8 which I totally drooled over ...

My first test ride was a 1050 Speed Triple, which is on my list as possible TL replacements.
The riding position was nice, the bike felt small and the inline triple had nice thrust from low down. Good brakes too - as Brembo mono-blocks should be I guess :lol: of course the suspension was soft and the throttle had so much play it took me a lap to get used to it, but over all not a bad bike ... the 1050 isn't as brutal as the TL but still pulls nice. Gear box needed a full clutching to get it to shift down ... TL works better ;)

The I got a Tiger cos everybody wanted to ride teh 675 Daytona ...
The Tiger is the adventure sport thing. Engine was the same as the Speed I think but I kept grinding the toes of my boots which felt cool, though it meant ground clearance was limited :D not my cup of tea ...

When I got back, the queue for the Rocket III was empty so Hirofumi egged me on to try that
First time I've ridden a cruiser since my GN400 (if that counts) and after I got the guy to point out where the key was, I wobbled off down pit lane trying to get my feet into the foot-forward controls ... like driving a bus through the chicane but I was impressed how nimble the low speed handling was and ... OMFG what gear am I in who cares 2.3L just drop the wrist and go! Back tyre shimmies out of the corner and it goes! Interesting ...!

Pitted in and it was announced that this would be the last outing for the session ... so I jumped on the now vacant Daytona.
I felt like a drunken redneck who'd swiped his kids bike and was roaring around the backyard! Small? Tiny! I must have looked a sight ... but I cackled all the way around the track ... was muy impressed with the wee thing - good thrust from low rpm for such a small bike and it was fun ringing it's neck down the back straight ... be a good track bike for fun, I think cos it's got miles of ground clearance!

Then we got jumped by a couple of reporters - interview, photos etc ... we may turn up in an edition of GooBike or BikeRiders though I've not heard of the second mag :blink:

So basically, we got a free track day at the Twin Ring on someone elses bikes and it didn't cost us a bean! And the best bit - the TL was still the best ride ;)

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Lucky bastard. Sounds like a blast!

It occurred to me the engine in the Rocket III has about the same displacement as my Camry. It bet it does churn the tire a bit :lol

·
Registered
851 Posts
Lucky Bastich!

Glad you had a good time, I suppose it's also nice you still like your own bike best after all that, would kinda suck to have found something you like more and have to ride home on a bike you thought inferior afterward.

TL's are so much fun anyway tho!

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally some pics ...

Me on the Rocket looking for the ignition to turn it on. No seriously, couldn't see the keys!

Now to get it started ...

Riding the Speed Triple ... suspension a bit on the soft side!

One more ...

Me cackling, on the mini-moto ... damn that thing felt small!

Eye-candy ... RC8

Nice 748 that was getting thrashed ...

BMW F800 (?) with a fairing kit that was going like a good 'un too ...

·
Moderator,
8,236 Posts
Swine! Looks like fun. The 675 seems to be a pretty decent effort on the part of Triumph. I keep looking at Triumph's but sofar have managed to stay away from them.:laugh

By the way, thanks for wearing the helmet in all the pictures. :lol

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Jeez, that day turned out pretty darn awesome for ya. Equally nice that the TL still holds up by comparison. :thumbup

·
Nothing to see here...move along
2,463 Posts
Sounds like fun...and free too :thumbup

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Sounds like a Awesome day! good write up.

Hirofumi what a cool name. the Japs have the best names.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Swine! Looks like fun. The 675 seems to be a pretty decent effort on the part of Triumph. I keep looking at Triumph's but sofar have managed to stay away from them.:laugh

By the way, thanks for wearing the helmet in all the pictures. :lol
Actually, there was one of me and Hirofumi and I look like I'm drunk and about to pass out :dowhat
The 675 was an impressive little motor, great fun and would be a kick-ass track bike on a tight circuit - so light and so much ground clearance :laugh
Over all though, the Triumphs just lack that bit of pizazz that make them desirable ... the clock are ok but a bit bland and cheap looking, the engine looks bulky and agricultural ... Personally I wouldn't pay any more than what I paid for the TL for one, but they go for twice that :O unlike the Tuono which is all class :yes

Sounds like a Awesome day! good write up.

Hirofumi what a cool name. the Japs have the best names.
Oh yeah great ones like (as pronounced in English) Eureka, Hallelujah, Shoe, Me-sucky and my fav to date - Meat :lol

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My buddies 20 year old son is in love with the 675 so we took a drive to the closest Triumph dealership today (which is an hour and a half away in the middle of nowhere) to take a look. Unfortunatly unlike yourself there wasn't a major racetrack nearby nor were they offering any test rides:banghead. I did like the looks of their bikes though. Did they happen to have a ST 1050 there, seems like it would be a pretty good sport tour bike. :O

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Oh yeah great ones like (as pronounced in English) Eureka, Hallelujah, Shoe, Me-sucky and my fav to date - Meat :lol

I met a German girl once who's name was Ute.. For those who don't know, a ute is the down under version of a pick up... Here's an example :laugh

There's a saying (or bumper sticker :laugh) saying "real aussie's drive Ute's"... well that was one Ute i didn't get to trash :laugh

·
Registered
801 Posts
Those Maloo's sure look tough brent n Kami mate of mine had a speedt last year it shit its gbox that many times he gave it back to them, n went and got a new guzzie instead:O

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Brent?? :confused :laugh

1 - 20 of 20 Posts