TLZone Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone who has done this chime in? How bad is it? Would it make enough noise that you would never be able to sell it, because it sounds like it's about to die?

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
I pulled mine out, it made the bike clattery, then I put them back in before I sold it. It sounds much better with them in. I never had any trouble, but I figure it really is not worth the work.

Here is an interesting article that may apply as well. It may be the cams need a certain amount of "flywheel" and isolation from the sharp power pulses of the big V-Twin engine for accurate valve timing at high RPM. The scissor gears provide both things. I would leave them in.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...:no, not worth the trouble...

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I concur. If you plan to keep a bike, then it's up to you. But any prospective owner who hears you bike will wonder what's up.

I don't know how many times I heard, "you got a noisey lifter," from the idiots I work with. They all ride harelys and don't understand what modern technology is.

·
Registered
184 Posts
yeah it is loud as hell.I am now used to it though and don't care. WHen you take them off and put all of the pieces in your hands you will be amazed at the weight savings. You can put them back on in an hour( at least the cam scissors) so no biggie.
And I am wondering, why are TLs so loud without scissor gears? Other bikes don't have them and they don't make that racket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts