TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this sound like a scam to you?
I bid on a TLS last week and missed out by a small amount, today I recieved this email

Dear eBay member,
You expressed interest in an item titled : 1997 SUZUKI TL 1000 SV GREEN ENGINE Item number: 180036635747 by bidding, however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder. In compliance with eBay policy, the seller is making this Second Chance Offer to you at your bid.The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or the seller has duplicate items for sale. If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection . If you are interested on this offer , to discuss more details reply me asap.
Thank you!!!!

Nothing else at all on the email, no ebay icons, I have checked my ebay and no messages either, I have now contacted the seller direct and am awaiting a response, I smell a rat, am I being paranoid or not

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
besides that i would suppose it would be addressed to your Ebay user name, scam if you ask me

·
Registered
719 Posts
:no Not proper

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did they get my email address though :O
I'm confused, also what would they gain unless I'm about to get more spam than the us army

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Go back to origional auction and ask seller a question from there, that way it's trustworthy.

Sounds like he may have got a friend to bid it up and now selling it you ?

If you right click on any of the links in the suspect spoof email, the should start with 'http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ or something similar and not 'http://ebay.14567856.co.uk/:)/ etc

Hope it works out OK John

·
Registered
110 Posts
Many possibilities, but this 'second buyer' offer IS a well known scam. It works because at some point down the line you will get asked for a deposit (along with a bunch of other people), often to a .hotmail address, and that, my friend, will be the last you see of your money, the bike, or the 'seller'!
If it doesn't look kosher it probably isn't so tread carefully and part with bugger all (including ANY personal details, etc.) until you are happy it's above board.

I'm also very suspicious of the peculiar grammar, spelling (often phonetic) etc., of such messages (Nigerian scammers, typically).

Doc

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I got hit with one of these too, but yours sounds more intelligent than mine did.

I bid on some brake calipers. I stopped my bidding at $50. They went for $65. The guy contacted me saying the buyer couldn't pay and since I'd bid on them he'd offer them to me for a mere $70. :coocoo

·
15,415 Posts
forward the suspect email to [email protected] and they will tell you within 24 hours if its a scam.

Also, why is it when you get a second chance offer it's always for your maximum bid and not the next increment above the bidder below you ? Surely if the highest bidder was a fraud or non paying bidder and his bid was not taken into account then you would have won the auction for the amount described above :O

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have sent the seller a question through Ebay. I'll see what happens, no way I'll be paying a deposit on anything though until I have seen the bike, I was planning on collecting tomorrow:banghead.
At least my studying will get done now though :thumbup

·
Registered
179 Posts
That happened to me too very similar sounding email. Apparently the seller got my email from when I was the high bidder and contacted me outside of EBAY. Doing business that way you are not protected by EBAY if the sale is a fraud or if item is not as listed.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
you will always have a 'my messages' message if it is legit.

i got offered a 2nd chance on a yoshi system, so i contacted the seller and they told me they never sent one!.

·
15,415 Posts
Just sent this to him for you

"Hello, a friend has asked me to contact you. You recently won an auction for a TL1000S. My friend has received an email offering him a second chance offer on the same bike but he's not sure if it's a scam ? Have you won the bike or have you declined it ? Thankyou"

·
15,415 Posts
Nope, won't let me either

Tried via a couple of other ways and same message as you.

Check your messages like Tillerthou said in your "My Ebay" control panel on the left hand side of your screen.

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your help Sam

Nothing at all in my ebay, I have studied the text of the initial email and it is written in the context of having come from Ebay..................but at the end it says If you are interested on this offer , to discuss more details reply me asap.

Definate scam, shall I pst the senders email so we can bombard him with junk mail :O
I'll give it a few days just in case

·
15,415 Posts
Shame I was hoping to gain the Ohlins off it :laugh

There is that other TLS for £1400 Buy it Now

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Look what I just recieved
Hello,
The price is your higher bidd and the shipping taxes are included in the price.
If you are interested to buy this product ,we can make this transaction through
eBay and is 100%safe for both of us and eBay will contact you shortly with the
further details. Ebay will send you an Invoice and there you'll have more
details about the transaction and payment.I Will use for shipping eBay
If you are realy interested please provide me this info:
First name:
Last name:
Address:
City:
Zip:
Item #:
Your ebay user ID :
I need the details exactly like I have requested to you because I have
to forward the email to eBay.In short time eBay will contact you with
an Invoice in order to complete the transaction!
Thanks! and hope to hear from you soon!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Its a cunning ploy...I dunno mate...sounds genuine

1 - 20 of 40 Posts