TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its smaller than I thought. Compared to the DRZ its about 3 inches shorter. The frame and swingarm are gorgeous, but the forks and triples look a little cheap...all cast. It must have had a rough time on the showroom, it looked like it had minor wear and tear...or maybe they just did a little test running when it got into the shop. :laugh For the $8700 they were asking I was a little under impressed, but its still a gorgeous bike. I'm still considering the KTM...that is of course I ever sell the R1 which I seem to have a hard time parting with. :laugh

sorry, i didn't take any picts...these will have to do.

-:banana

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
The maint schedule on the Aprilia is downright scary!
Sweet bike, but way too much work for me

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I would like them to import the racing versions. Maintenance is simple on them and the KTM's. Bang for the buck, 70 hp in a 250 pound bike is worth some hassle, plus it is pure toy, I need one badly, but I bet it is a while until I can have one. :lol

Maybe a Mille R Factory instead?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Looks awsome. Don't worry too much about the casting - oem cast tripples are generally the lightest alternative - all the blingy billet ones you see on SM's and MX bikes are actually heavier than stock (except for a few of the magnesium ones). I doubt they will require any more maintance than the other race style supermoto's like the KTM RFS bikes etc.

Don't forget about husqvarna:devious

have fun

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh i know, it just looked a little cheap sitting next to the work of at that is the frame and swingarm. I also think a part of my discontent was just the shape the bike was in. I would pitty the guy that just paid full MSRP on a new bike that had been thrashed around the shop before I bought it.

I still want to look at the KTM and if I can find a dealer in PA, the husky. I know there's a good husky dealer in San Francisco...I might go out there soon, maybe I can snag a look.

W

·
0 Posts
damn crash, you're getting closer and closer to your SXV :devious

i'd love one too, but finances will not allow it for a few years to come...

i was close too last monday (trackday croix-en-ternois in france, i didn't race there, just watching)

it went very fast around the little tecnical track, and wheelied just about everywhere :hail no sound though with the stock exhausts :(

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah now its really a matter of onloading the R1, and making my damn mind up. I should find out in the next month or so what the next year of school and work is looking like for me. that'll probably help me make a friggin' decision :lol

W

·
0 Posts
i met a guy who owned one, and he sold it because it was a bit too heavy for short technical blasts...he's looking for a CRF now...

i doubt you''l find it too heavy though, coming down from a tiller and an R1 :)

maybe try to testride one?

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Don't overlook the Husky 510 SMR. My buddy in CA just got one, he loves it to death. He has an off road only WR450 with a Dubach pipe and JD jet kit in it with all the usual uncorking mods and he claims the Husky makes his WR feel weak. He claims third gear dial a wheelies. The bike seems well put together too :hail

He haggled hard and got it out the door for $7,500.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
There's one with 400 miles I think on ebay buy-it now for 5k and change:devious

BTW last report I saw showed the 510 to be at 54 rwhp and its factory street legal:hail

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I swear that some guy had one of those at the trackday yesterday. He had some Aprilia motard. Guy was having a blast out there, late braking and backing it into every turn. There was a gaggle of sportbikes hung up behind somone and all of a sudden on the inside this guy zips past and I hear the "chirp chirp chirp chirp" of his back wheel as he backs it in on a line totally out of our way and was gone. He'd have given Doug a run for his money.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That is indeed what that was. I wish I had your camera when he dove in front of me. Sideways. Smokin' the rear. :yes

Not really necessary on that track, but damn fun to watch from where I was sitting.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
gixxerjasen said:
He'd have given Doug a run for his money.
I talked to him it is a 550. Looked like it was going really good. He and I have played together before, he is a fast guy, was going like stink on the Aprilia too!:hail Denee and I were talking too him, it was too much for both of us.:dowhat

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I might....might have him on video coming up from behind. Have to sit down this week and screen my videos.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts