TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so who has it? what system do you have? how do you get the maps updated and at what cost?

I have Autoroute 2006 on my Laptop, and with a USB GPS receiver that worked really well in France, with a passenger watching it ...... but it isn't practical on your own .... I would like something that could synch with a computer though, as it seems easier to set the route on a PC ?

Looking for suggestions / recomendations really, upto about £250

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I don't have one, but have been :drool over the new garmin Zumo:)

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I don't have one, but have been :drool over the new garmin Zumo:)
And here I thought you'd want one more rugged that could easily be transferred to the dirt bike. :coocoo I'm on the hunt for a GPS for the dirtbike and to take with me on the mountain bike as well.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sadly a GPS wouldn't be of much use for dirt riding anywhere within ~1k miles of me as all the riding areas are soo small:banghead I don't have a real need for a street one either and don't plan to buy one soon, but the Zumo sure is cool:)

I would like to eventually rig up a GPS on the DR and do a long distance ride on it, perhaps TAT or Copper Canyon.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should have said .... it's mainly for use in the car - both the wife and I do a lot of business miles and the comfort of not having to stop and map-read would be good :)

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Oh, sorry about that Moose, but so long as we are slightly off topic...:)

BP, we've found that having one at the location where they did the Last Man Standing is a good thing to have. The trails criscross all over the place and finding your way around, especially to some of the good parts, is a little difficult. I would have thought you'd have bigger riding areas there so I'm a little suprised.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Cool:thumbup

Riding areas on the east for the most part are really small. There are some awsome MX tracks, but very few areas with just huge trail networks where you have to worry about getting lost etc.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
i got a tomtom go in my Truck never let me down yet :) map upgrades are free for the first year allthough there easy enough to get elsewhere

·
Registered
909 Posts
Agree there, had a tomtom rider for the bike and was great, sold that now and just use tomtom mobile on my phone, cant tell the dif from either system, great, easy to update, speed camera warnings all easy to update free :p if you got a symbian or wm5 phone just let me know :) i can send the needed software to help you out, can buy a real cheap sony err p800 on ebay for like 40 and then a bt rec for like 35 and thats it, easy cheap and all touch screen, and free to run and update. :)

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well .......... I went into my local Halfords, with the intention of looking at one of the cheaper TomTom or Garmin units ...... and ended up buying one of these http://www.navmanstores.com/eu/product_details.php?category=Navman+GPS&id=371 :devious

One of the guys on a local bike forum works there, and got me 10% off the label price ....... which was already less than half price ..... so we paid £180 for a unit with full post-code search AND Europe wide street level mapping for near as dammit the same as a TomTom One :) :hail

Interested in the phone suggestion though, as I'm looking to change phones :devious and would be useful if we are both out ... and good for me on the bike too :)

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
I have mine on a phone too, I run the same as Matt (M3NF) :thumbup he gave it to me :hail
Another cheap option is the Orange C500, C550, or C600
I used mine to get us round Scotland earlier this year, it worked great

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Matt ( M3NF ), Jonny, could someone hook me up with the details I need to get the sat Nav on my mobile please???? I have a Sony Ericsson 800i
would mucho appreciated :hail just need to know where to go and I will get it sorted as there is times I turn around and I am lost:laugh
Nah its always handy to have and **standingupsmilie** My name is Alasdair and I am gadget daft **sittingdownsmilie**

:laugh :hail :hail :hail

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Watching a couple of P800's as we speak :devious

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
I've got the TomTom 510

Buy the gatso locations on Cd on Ebay every now and then for £1

Map updates are free

Only quibble is the mount, power doesn't always connect properly and if the battery is low when your charging it and you go over a bump and lose the contact the units turns off !!

Other than that it's great

The mounts on the 500/700 series are better but the lcd screens are smaller

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
I use Tom Tom on my Ipaq - the full postcode thing is really good. Got a nifty little mount for it stuck on the car windscreen that has power and a speaker. Only let me down once when I needed to get to an address in the wilds of Norfolk and the postcode I was given ended up being 6 houses in the middle of nowhere and the address I wanted was still nearly a mile away 'cos the postcode was for the entrance to the drive..:laugh

No it wasn't that big house at Sandringham..

·
Registered
909 Posts
Matt ( M3NF ), Jonny, could someone hook me up with the details I need to get the sat Nav on my mobile please???? I have a Sony Ericsson 800i
would mucho appreciated :hail just need to know where to go and I will get it sorted as there is times I turn around and I am lost:laugh
Nah its always handy to have and **standingupsmilie** My name is Alasdair and I am gadget daft **sittingdownsmilie**

:laugh :hail :hail :hail
Is that the w800i or p800, as w800 will not have a os to run it on, the p800 will run symbian OS, if you have a phone with symbian OS or Windows Mobile 5 then i can help you out, all you need is a min memory card of around 256, More better for POI and voices, and a BT GPS reciever. Once you got thous i can post ya some useful software to sort the rest out, i will say phone as i cant post warez stuff cos i a very nice man, any info like that would need to be done with by PM.

Moose :- on the symbian systems like the P800 you only need a 128 meg card, as P800 max memory is 128 as it only used the Memory Stick, while the P900 & P900i takes the stick duo and can go alot higher.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Oh and its Mat :p Not Matt :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts