TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Well, I already posted that my season was over. But it wasn't true, I joined for another track weekend. As Doug would say "it's a disease!".

Track: Anneau du Rhin, France. Small track between Basel and Colmar, just about two hours from my house thus the closest track.
I'm there with some friends from Germany. Gunna (GSX-R 1000 K4), Wolfgang (TLS) and me (TLS) are in the fast group.

Saturday Sept 30th
Intermediate conditions in the morning, track was almost completely dry at lunch, afternoon very good weather, not too hot.
We miss the first turn. Not an issue, it's quite wet. The Pilot Powers stay on the bike, the track won't be dry for the next turn.
For the 2nd session Wolfgang and me start together. He's on Slicks, me on Pilot Powers. But after just two laps he pulls away. Damn, he's good in these difficult conditions! The Pilot Powers is OK with a partially wet track, knee touches down without any issues. I loose my left knee slider in the fast esses "FlicFlac" and get it back to the pits on the trailer :laugh
3rd turn is almost completely dry track. The Pilot Power perform good for turn in, but when accelerating I'm missing the last % of confidence. And it gets hotter.
At lunch I mount the black rims with a used set of Supercorsa Pro SC1/SC2 race tyres and change the setup of the bike from extra soft wet to standard dry setup.
In the afternoon our group has 40min of an hour track time. Whow! But that's almost too much, the track is extremely physic. Bike runs great, tyres and suspension are perfect.
Wolfgang, Gunna and me had some really great fights this afternoon. Even when it was extremely close sometimes, it was HUGE fun. Wolfgang is fast everywhere, in special in the fast parts of the track. Gunna is of course in advantage on the back straight. I am usually the latest on the brakes :devious So we change positions all time and have a really great time.
Gunna skips the last turn and Wolfgang takes his K4 for a spin. I drive for my own and was clocked 1:24 from the pitlane. Not sure if this is correct, that would be a full 3 or 4 seconds faster than ever before.

Sunday 1st October
Weather is wet in the morning and the sky looks really cloudy. I put the Pilot Power back, Wolfgang and Gunna mount rain tyres.
First turn: Gunna and Wolfgang are gone before I can start. I can't follow them either, it's too wet. After some time they lap me. The Pilot Power performs OK, but is rather difficult to drive. Accelerating out of corners is most difficult. Cornering works ok and usually I had no problems on the brakes. Usually. But then BANG!!!!!!!
Shit happened and I loose the front wheel when braking for the 180° righthander before the back straight. Bike slides into the emergency exit and I tumble on the track. When I came to stop I ran off the track immediately because I just overtook some guys. Bike looked OK, thus I head slowly back to the pits.
I'm OK, except for a bit sprained left thumb and for a little hurting left knee.
Damage report of the TLS: right front fairing rashed, Frame slider safed the cooler, clutch cover (again) rashed, Bar end rashed, front brake lever bent. Rear brake lever snapped off, stock can badly rashed, right midpipe (again) bent, right rear footpeg bent, rear fairing (again) rashed. The tank had already such a huge ding that it didn't touch pavement :laugh
I miss two hours of almost dry track :banghead Bike is back together after lunch, but it begins to rain again. Got a set of rain tyres mounted on the black rims by Wolfgang. But it pours down like mad, no chance to drive. At about 3PM, rain stops and we all get back on track on rain tyres. I can't follow Gunna and Wolfgang, though. Not yet confident in corners and a wobbly TLS on the straight (we didn't balance the tyres in a hurry and my rain suit was a bit flutter). Back to the pits after some laps.
Before 4PM I drive another half an hour in the wet. Quite fun except for that slippy 2nd corner.

Conclusion: Saturday was great, Sunday was shit. I should stop to drive two days in a sequence there, shit happens always at the 2nd day.

Greetings
Rufer

PS: Photos later...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:doh sorry to hear about the off, but at least you had a good track day on Saturday:thumbup

You might want to look into a clutch cover like Burncycle has, with the built in slider:devious

have fun

W

·
0 Posts
damn rufer, another drop :banghead that sucks!

you're becoming too fast man :) you should get a track only bike, with 'rasheable' plastics ;)

good luck on the rebuild.

PS did wolfgang ride on my old frame, and with my old race-plastics? (black stuff) :)

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The damage on the bike isn't that bad, these were indeed plastics that I use on track only. The clutch cover won't do another off, though, I was lucky that it wasn't completely destroyed.
Yep, I should get a race bike. We'll see...

@Wreckah: Not sure if his or his wifes TLS has your frame, for sure it's in good use. But he got some carbon race plastics.

Even when it was only an estimated 120kph getoff, today was quite painful.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some photos, taken by "Wilhelm" with my camera.

http://www.mrufer.ch/foto/2006/adr0930/

Wolfgang, Gunna and me

Unknown rider crashes in the pit corner:

Angie, Heiko:

"Zwiebel":

Now on dry track:

Greetings
Rufer

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Great pics:thumbup

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Damn... I can't believe I missed this thread!

Great pics!

Look at the good side of Sunday... You weren't at work! :laugh

Oh... Someone get Zwiebel to work on his form. :dowhat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts