TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents have been hounding my wife and I to go sailing with them for a few years now. Due to various factors our schedules never seemed to mesh until this year. I've spent many hours on boats, but this is my first experience sailing. My parents live here in Lincoln too, but they are going to retire in the Belingham Washington area in the next couple of years. After visiting, I can see why. Absolutely beautiful. Below are just a couple of pics. Overall the trip was very relaxing and a great time. It's difficult to described the feeling, but it's pretty cool when you have your sails up and all you hear is wind and water.

This is us leaving Squalicom harbor in belingham

The first day was the longest day of sailing. We left Squalicom and headed for Stuart Island where we anchored for the night. Stuart Island is but a stones trow away from Canada. The next day we sailed our way over to Roche Harbor. Roche Harbor is on San Juan Island. Also home on San Juan is Friday Harbor. We didn't make it over there, but apperently that's the "party" harbor.
This pic is overlooking Roche Harbor. The pic doesn't do it justice.

When sailing amongst the islands you need to watch out for these big dogs.

During a particular day we came upon several sailboats as the day was perfect for sailing. This is a bit of an uncommon sailboat. There must of been some kind of regatta as there were several of this style. I took around 30 pictures of just these sailboats.

I've got more pictures that I need to load up and put on here, but this is it for now. I'll finish up the trip report when I finish loading pictures.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Cool stuff:clap I really want to learn to sail, looks like loads of fun and would be a great way to travel around the world I think. I bet jensen will know all about the sail boat pictured:)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beautiful part of the world you live in. I enjoyed it very much.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks, and yes it is, but dont tell everyone!! were full, hehe. Can ride from the ocean to the snow on mt baker in a few hours. I like it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
that's awesome! i've done the same myself. it's a great place to be, let alone boat, let alone sail! i went all the way up to the gulf islands though. where are you from around here? i'll be back up in bellingham this fall for school at wwu

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
waw, that looks fantastic !!! :hail
My parents had a catamaran, my dad was a sail freak :)
I enrolled in a catamaran sailing school this summer, but didn't get there yet.. soon, with pics :thumbup

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still need to load the rest of the pictures. My mom sent me this one. As you can see I am instructing my wife that she needs to watch the depth on the GPS. She is doing what wives do best....ignore their husband. :)

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
That's a great shot TLRChad! Looks very typical! :laugh

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have been over here in Pullman for just a couple weeks now, and I already miss it over there! Great Pictures.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's another pic of the two of us. This is us getting in the dingey to head to shore. This was taken when we were anchored in a cove by Stuart Island. I'd like to point that this picture was take before the one I just posted...hence the smiles :)

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
What kind of boat was that? It looks like a fair sized cockpit, two wheels and all... Did you get to see any whales, dolphins or other cool wildlife?

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
Cool stuff:clap I really want to learn to sail, looks like loads of fun and would be a great way to travel around the world I think. I bet jensen will know all about the sail boat pictured:)
that's a schooner...and that's about all i know. :laugh I raced dinghy's for 8 years, big boats aren't really my forte. :O Looks like a great trip Chad, that area is gorgeous!

-:banana

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What kind of boat was that? It looks like a fair sized cockpit, two wheels and all... Did you get to see any whales, dolphins or other cool wildlife?
We were on a 42' Jeanneau. That particular boat had a twin wheel set up. It's nice when you're keeling over as you can switch wheels to help with visibility. The cockpit was very nice and roomy. However, the biggest problem with the twin wheel design is the position of some of the electronics. In particular the GPS. It ends up in a position that is kind of a pain to use. Other than that it was a very nice boat.

Didn't see any whales, but we did see quite a few harbor porpoise and seals. We also saw a lot of bald eagles. Brook and I had one fly real close over our head. Incredible bird. We were going to go whale watching but the area with the most sitings had quite a lot of shipping traffic that day so we decided not to go (see pic above :) ).

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
that's a schooner...and that's about all i know. :laugh I raced dinghy's for 8 years, big boats aren't really my forte. :O Looks like a great trip Chad, that area is gorgeous!

Well that's more than I knew:)

there's some sort of sailing club in Cambridge I think I'm going to join once I get settled in, you'll have to come up and show me how do drive one of these properly - its $200/yr and includes training as best I can tell. :deal
http://www.community-boating.org/join.php

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
That sounds about right for a (university) sailing club. The nice thing is once you are checked out you can go sailing without having to mount the mast + rigging the way you would if you trailered a boat to a lake. The boats are all set up for you except for raising the sails. Go for it.

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
Well that's more than I knew:)

there's some sort of sailing club in Cambridge I think I'm going to join once I get settled in, you'll have to come up and show me how do drive one of these properly - its $200/yr and includes training as best I can tell. :deal
http://www.community-boating.org/join.php
They've got Laser's and 420's...i could teach you more than a few things with those :devious

1 - 20 of 24 Posts