TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at building an engine for somebody in Greece (not Gigas :laugh) which obviously is not an amount of money I wish to loose.

In lieu of recent threads of fund reversals, Nigeria etc and wanted to check what is the best way to receive money.

I've suggested a deposit first via bank transfer and would insist it done direct, not through a holding company, then when ready to ship the balance via the same method.

What do the banks offer for Internation Payments that can be trusted and don't cost much in charges ?

Cheers

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
You or I or anyone here could trust Gigas as an escrow service - direct transfer from Greek to Greek bank, then a paypal move to you, but the 3rd party might not like it :laugh

Just go international bank to bank direct transfer. Make him have to trust you more than you trust him though.

But being a TL owner he should be legit and paypal should be safe enough too.

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is actually somebody who got in touch via Gigas, I've asked Stelios to confirm he's a good guy.

The fees associated with PayPal are criminal and I don't trust them, the buyer could use a credit card and up to 6 months later dispute the transaction with the credit card company and they will reverse the payment from PayPal and hence PayPal will come after me for the money :banghead

I don't mind small deposits etc

I think you're right about the bank transfer been best.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Yep, and make him pay before you are at risk. If they are legit and want a "Sam Built" they are willing to pay for it, we have established your reliability. Enjoy.

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you got an account you can leave a £1 to keep it going and use that account purely for this job?
Nearly, I have "slush fund" account for ebay stuff that I swipe the excess into the joint account on the very rare occurance of my sales exceeding my purchases :lol

·
Super Moderator,
2,653 Posts
He has come to you to build an engine because he trusts you, therefore he should be able to trust you with the payment method that you choose too. If he doesn't then he really doesn't want a Sam built engine.
Talk to the bank.....wire transfer is probably the safest. :O

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He has come to you to build an engine because he trusts you, therefore he should be able to trust you with the payment method that you choose too. If he doesn't then he really doesn't want a Sam built engine.
Talk to the bank.....wire transfer is probably the safest. :O

Gigas recomended him to me and he is a member here I think, just so he could check up on me I guess :laugh

Just said I need to refresh my race engine first, didn't like to say why.......:laugh

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Sam has proved many times that he's a reliable guy and he can be trusted and this is how I introduced him to the guy.
I'd say bank transfer would be perfect for both.
Easy and no extra fees for anyone.

When I transfered the money to you, it did took a few days for your money to show on your account and a couple more to become available to you but it was with no extra cost for me to do it. I thought there would be a commision for that but they didn't ask anything more.
When your money clear in your account, transfer it to another account that nobody can touch.

I would advise you to ask for the whole amount upfront. If he wants to make sure you're a trusty guy, he can just search a bit here or ask me again about you.
In any case, make sure YOU are safe above and more than anything else.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
bank transfer is best.

Usually about a 10 charge and depending on the service it may take 3-4 days to clear in you acc. I often send payments to an international bank acc and i've never had an issue.

Otherwise ask him to courrier the cash in a brown bag :)

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Deffo, bank transfer to one of your 6 or 7 numbered accounts mate............

Cayman Islands one, or the Isle of Man one or even your Gibraltar account........don't use the one in Lichtenstein the geezer there is a right nine bob note and takes forever on the phone.

All UK banks have their working partners abroad. Sam, ask your bank who that is in Greece and ask your customer to walk in and pay cash there to be credited to your account.
With your customer paying cash there is no way anyone can stop, divert or claim back anything.

It may sound harse but you are the known and trusted body, your customer does not yet enjoy that position so your customer needs to carry the risk.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
International postal money order? Should be researchable online as to whether it's viable. Parts on M/O clearance.:confused

1 - 12 of 12 Posts