TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
A sad day indeed.
Things have a way of working out, in the meantime, good fortune and good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got about 20 people eagerly awaiting my reply to come buy Clyde, but for the life of me I can't go through with it. Like ripping a baby out of a mothers arms.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
cancel the sale and hang on as long as you can - at least you know if the day ever comes, and the right time of year, the bike will sell quickly...........................

Or if now is as far as you can hang on then push the envelope with 2/3rds of the potential buyers and tell them you wrote out the advertisement in preparation to sell it if things did not improve.
But your partner, now ex-partner, placed the advertisement without your knowledge and got the price wrong, it should be $4500, or even $5500, depending how brave you feel.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sell the truck first? Tbh I'd sell almost everything else before parting with Evil Twin, including the cats!
I wanted to, but wife broke the key off in the ignition. Finally got it out, but thus far no one can fix it. Can't sell a truck that won't start.

IMG_1701.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it's old school. In fact, I can still start it without a key lol. Problem is that the key was too damage for a locksmith to cut. Only tried two though, so possible there's someone who still can.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Can't the manufacturer just send you a new ignition key? They will have the pattern on file. Usually have to wave proof of ownership in front of them first but they should be able to turn it around in a day or two.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't the manufacturer just send you a new ignition key? ...
Interesting. I will contact Nissan tomorrow and ask. Not sure how they would have a 25 year old template of my exact key, but definitely worth a shot.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I've had replacement keys for my 20 year old BMWs (at £147 a pop!) so I expect it won't be a problem for your Datsun.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Interesting. I will contact Nissan tomorrow and ask. Not sure how they would have a 25 year old template of my exact key, but definitely worth a shot.
They will. Give them your VIN.

Also you can pull your ignition cylinder and the locksmith can rekey / pull the tumblers and make a key even without any original key. He may ask you for a title as proof... :laugh

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,061 Posts
......, but for the life of me I can't go through with it. Like ripping a baby out of a mothers arms.
Apparently, you have come to your senses, because your Craigslist ad has been taken down. At least I can't see it. :O
I'm not trying to be nosy, but why were you even considering this? The TL is one of the few things that makes you happy in this miserable life, and you want to sell it? There's something wrong with that logic. :doh :lol:lol

But your partner, now ex-partner, placed the advertisement without your knowledge and got the price wrong, it should be $4500, or even $5500, ......
I didn't get to see your original ad Josh, but Ted's comment here indicates that you had your TLR priced below market value for one in such good condition. I'm embarrassed to admit what I paid for my TLR nine years ago, so I won't. Suffice it to say, that it was more than your asking point for a TLR that needed a lot of TLC.:banghead
I was impetuous.:coocoo
If you ever have this silly urge again, please price it accordingly. You might as well get some gain from your pain. The sheer number of buyers who responded to your add is a clear indication that you had it priced too low. :dowhat You are looking for the discerning buyer who will take care of it, and not some twenty-year-old kid that will thrash it for 6 months, then leave it in his backyard for the next 10 years.

However, if you are determined to give it away, PM me before you put the ad up next time. :)

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,061 Posts
Sell the truck first? Tbh I'd sell almost everything else before parting with Evil Twin, including the cats!
TBH, I would sell the cats before anything else! :laugh :laugh :lol

In my neighborhood, those fur balls are like vermin. Almost as bad as the pigeons.:banghead

:laugh

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
You are looking for the discerning buyer who will take care of it, and not some twenty-year-old kid that will thrash it for 6 months, then leave it in his backyard for the next 10 years. :)
There are very few people on this planet who would appreciate the work and love that you have put into Clyde, and were you to part with him it would be one of your biggest regrets if not the biggest. There is plenty of experience in this site (not just bike related) that you can tap into, and we might be able to give advice or an alternate point of view that could help.

:cheers

·
Moderator,
8,217 Posts
Y'all need to find yourself a real locksmith. My '70 Nova key was so worn it wouldn't work most of the time. I found the old codger locksmith that actually knew his art. It took a handfull of trues but he cut a key that was an exact match to the original and worked like new. If the OEM can't help, they should be able to with the VIN and the title to prove you own it, find a old time locksmith. :thumbup

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is how it's done bro. If the key is the cylinder leave it forward. If not force it. Most newer vehicles have these additional tumblers on left side of column. Remove cover and locate remove with wires attached. This is the unit that actually starts vehicle. Key mostly unlocks column. Use flathead driver to start that fine vehicle but most importantly SAVE CLYDE! Happy 4th!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to restore 67-69 Camaro, old Chevelles, Novas etc.when you could get em for $500 in the mid-eighties. 1/2 of those rides the keys would come out after starting. Like Jeff said about his Nova. I had the exact same car/problem. The key now unlocks the column and has a throw-arm that engages the unit in the pic to engage it and start the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As Chops said, I am able to start it without the key (old vehicles rock), but I need the key to unlock the column. I still haven't sold Clyde, but probably just a matter of time.

NOTE: I did ask the wife if she'd consider prostitution, but she declined the notion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts