TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 1997 TLS there are a few issue with an oil leak at the moment but i also noticed that the temp gauge was running hi at around 105 -110 is this normal????

what should the gauge be reading??

thanks

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Is this C or F? :O

If it's Celsius, there's no way for a 97 to show these temps. Normally, it would operate much lower which is not correct, either...

Ideally, a TL motor should run approx. at 82 C for the Ecu to provide the correct mixture.

by default, the 97 runs much lower than that and the ECU always feeds the motor with a rich map thinking it's still cold. The thermostat mod tries to correct this bug by raising the running temp at around 82 Celsius.

In your case, there is a problem with your bike.
Did this happen while the bike was in traffic or in open road?
Did the fans kick in? They should around 104 Celsius.
Did you check the rad to see if there;s any coolant in there?
Perhaps there is air blocked in the cooling system.

Provide a few more details about when and what happened....

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
mine used to run around at about 70c......ran fine for years like it....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is running at around 80c untill you crack on the gass when you run at about 100mph for a mile or 2 the temp goes up to around 110c. If you slow down the temp falls to aroung 80/90c

the fans are working and there is new coolant in there (topped it up last week after water leak)

so i am at a loss really?
coould it be the termostat?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
it is running at around 80c untill you crack on the gass when you run at about 100mph for a mile or 2 the temp goes up to around 110c. If you slow down the temp falls to aroung 80/90c

the fans are working and there is new coolant in there (topped it up last week after water leak)

so i am at a loss really?
coould it be the termostat?
I think there is air trapped in the system.
Download the manual from the file vault and read how to bleed it.
It shouldn't behave like that.... Temp should get higher ONLY when you are stopped for longer in trafffic and in no case while you're going fast on an open road...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
:stupid....mine takes several runs after messing with any coolant part...just keep filling the over flow then go for a short ride to warm it up then park it for about an hour to allow it to cool back down then do it all over again ...mine used to settle down after the third rid or so,,,good luck

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
fill the rad almost to the top.....then squeeze the hose that goes to it on the rad cap side.(bottom of rad) do this a few times and top up as needed......usually takes a couple of mins...:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts