TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, I’ve gotta mention how much I enjoy TLZONE!!! It’s been helpful and entertaining since I’ve become a member, Thanks:devious

I’ve got a 00 TLR with 19200 miles and recently its started to increase the RPM`s whenever I move the steering in either direction. So my question is, where should I look first to fix the problem? Didn’t know if this was dunno common or the beginnings of a bigger problem. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, Thanks Nick :confused

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
Throttle cables

Cables are out of adjustment, you might be able to correct with the adjusters at the bar, if not you will be lifting the tank. You need more play. Fix this now before it kills you.
That is a warning in the manual.

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Also if this is something that just started out of the blue you may be having a seizing problem, try some quality lube - possibly some WD-40 sprayed from the top down to loosen up the cables so they move freely in their tubes.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad I asked sooner then later!!! :banghead I`m reading the manual NOW, and plan on entering the garage tonight to adjust the cables. I`ll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for the help and quick response!!!!!:thumbup :)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
As the others say...adjustment or binding the only thing I'll add is to use a quality dry film lubricant on the cables rather than something greasy or oily...the grease or oil can attract dirt.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Check how the cables route from the handlebars to down under the tank. If they're not routed properly (they're taking too long of a path) it could shorten the length of the cables so that when you turn the handlebars to full lock it can actually pull the cables tight causing the throttle to open.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Also if this is something that just started out of the blue you may be having a seizing problem, try some quality lube - possibly some WD-40 sprayed from the top down to loosen up the cables so they move freely in their tubes.
I agree with moto! That's exactly what I did and it worked like a charm!:)

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
throttle & fast idle cables:

1: cables out of adjustment - adjust correctly to spec.
2: cable snaged & getting pulled when bars are moved L to R - check cable roughting.
3: seizing cable - lube WD-40.
4: frayed cable - replace.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Nah ... thats just the TL hinting for you to ride it some more :devious

:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts