TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hoping to pick a few brains about tires and engine oil. I'm looking at the Michelin pilot power 2ct or the Pirelli Diablo (love the name, tires look good too) any suggestions or opinions? Also I'm thinking about switching to Mobil1 synthetic oil anyone have experience with the switch from fossil to synth ( I have 15000 miles on my 2001 TLR) I'm not trying to race just get the most life from my engine and the best traction with varying conditions.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...I can't give you any opinion yet but I've got 2 sets of the power 2ct's on the way...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
:laugh not the tyre question again:banghead

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
2cts get rave reviews over here in England, Diablo Corsas are great, I'm putting them on mine next again, a few years old now though so may be better rubber about, as for oil, personal preference, some complain synthetic makes your clutch slip (97 especially) other swear by it, stronger barnett springs usually solve the slip, but you will have the forearms of a gorilla after a while

·
Registered
128 Posts
I run Pilot Powers on my TLS and BMW R1100S. Can't fault them on the road & for moderate track days. Work well wet and dry, warm up quickly and are stable & predictable into corners.

Rear starts to square at 2k miles and is shagged and unpleasant by 3k miles.

I've used Mobil1 in my BMW (dry clutch) and use SemiSynth motorcylce oil in the TLS (RockOil - purely because I had 4 litres lying around). TBH, I'd stick with a motorcycle specific oil in a wet clutch to prevent slippage. I'd be interested to know others' experiences though cos there are often 2 for 1 deals on car fully synth oils.

Some of the BMW guys reckon fully synth is too slippery for the BMW's 'wide' manufacturing tolerances and leaks past the oil seals contaminating the clutch - although I've never experienced this in over 25k miles of use.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
tires are what you feel comfortable with. Bridgstone BT-014's will give you good life and are good and grabby. M-1s (or the variants) Corsa, Diablos...

I run Castrol Syntec full synthetic oil. No problems, bit more expensive but then I luv the hell out of my Tiller and want it to run for ever. Only problem is that you should run non synthetic oil for the break in period to properly seat the rings and cylinders... after that (and 15K is well past the break in period)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I used Mobile 1 MX4T in the TL for quite a while then switched to Rotella 5w-40 synthetic as its less expensive and allows the bike to start a bit quicker in really cold weather (I ride year round in VA). TL's like full syn oil just fine. I have no idea if it actually makes them last longer, but it sure doesn't hurt anything and in my case its well worth it just for the improved start-up in super cold temps.

For tires I use avon AV45/46ST's. Probably not as sticky as the power's but they last forever and have way more grip than I need. I put ~20k miles a year on the bike so tire mileage is a consideration for me:)

·
Registered
435 Posts
runnin pilot powers and mobil 1 synthetic

·
Registered
181 Posts
Pilot Power for handling and rainy conditions, Conti Sport Attack for feedback, save feeling and good steering Metzler Sportec M3 for feedback, turning in and save and nice feeling.

These tires are better than the Diablo. I rode The normal Diablo for 20.000 kms and now the Conti Sport Attack. The Conti is the faster tire with a great feel. It last not as long as the Power and even as the Diablo.The Diablo Corsa is half street, half racing tire and should be good too. ( In the rain not ) The tires mentioned above are more modern in things like warming up and rain grip. The Diablo is about five years old and the Bt 14 is overrunned by the newer tires like Power and M3. I think the two tires for feel and feedback are Conti Sport A. and the new Metzler M3. Has nothing to do with that i am German like the tires, but reviews in German magazines claimed that too. For handling the Michelin is the tire..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts