TLZone Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently traded my bike for a 01 TLR. The bike had no trouble starting. The bike stared after 3-5 cranks of the starter. However this afternoon after the bike was sitting on the parking lot for 9 hours, the bike did not want to start. I turned the key, waited for the fuel to prime, the pushed the button. The starter cranked 4-5 times but the engine did not started. I tried about 5 times, but then the battery ran out of juice. Had to jump start it with my buddy's car.
I'll check the battery and charging tomorrow.
Question:
How should I start the bike normally (the bike started without any problem in 75 degrees temp this morning)? Do I need to use the fast idle to start? It was really hot outside all day.
Thx!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This morning the battery gave 12.19V avarage, after I started the bike it was charging with 13.7V avarage, however when I reved the engine to 5-6k it dropped to 12.8V. Anyway, I rode the bike to work, will see what happens tonight (this time I brought cables :) ).

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yeah - my battery was always dying too. Even after the overnight tender routine, after riding for a bit and letting it sit it would die. I checked all electrical and it was good. Did the charging mod, never had another problem. Well there was that 1 time I left the key in the on position when testing out my new lights - but that doesn't count. By the way, before the charging mod, I had a new battery in it that was approx. 2 months old. Definitely do the charging mod if you don't have any electrical issues! :pirate

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
From what you described it sounds like your battery was a bit low,
put it on a charger overnight, get it fully charged, and your bike should keep it topped up. I do mine once a week with a tender I plug into the bike, and I've had the same battery for years, as did the previous owner:).

A simple TRE fixed my starting problems - used to take 4 - 5 cranks, now it's one or two cold, and hot. I always use the fast idle, unless it's been running within 30mins.

If you have an alarm, check that it is not draining the battery, this does happen; I've taken the fuse out of mine, and put it in when I need to use it. If it's in my shed, I just stick it on the tender.

You may as well check your TPS - it's a 2 minute job.

You've got yourself a keeper - don't be put off by a few maintenance issues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought my 1998 TLR last November. It had a real hard time starting. I had to charge the battery every two weeks. This spring, I splurged for a new battery. When I put in the new battery, I found that the guy I bought it from, ( a mechanic) had put the wrong size battery in it. I bought a new Scorpion and now it strats right up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cleaned the BMC air filter (new one is on the way, out 4 dealership around here none carries parts for the tiler). Changed the spark plugs, oil, filter. Now the bike starts up much easier.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Something that helps mine start quickly is allowing the fuel pump to prime a couple times. First start of the day, just cycle the switch another time or two and it might help ya.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts