TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been taking the path to further enjoyment and attempted to fit the 1/5th.
Opened the instructions...and read them...well most of them.
Took apart front brake side switch block
loosened off the cable adjuster (didn't have more than 1 turn per cable)
Took out the cable in the throttle tube...squeezy but came out OK
Put the wonderful device in that will make my rides more enjoyable
Tried to fit the cable back
Whoops....to tight and not enough slack to fit them in

Took off airbox to see the adjusters at the throttle body end....
Whoops again....no adjustment available there either!!
so....loosened one of the cable adjusters and slipped it off

Got some cable slack but I now have tight cables with no play and no adjustment!!!!:O:banghead:confused

Any clues...."Help, Mr Wizard" or Rifleman or anyone else!

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
you have to get a tube cutter and shorten the cable outer. go to any riflemans post and follow the link in his sig

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did that (little pipe cutter works a treat) but that just cuts a piece that goes in the housing so as not to foul the new insert as it is obviously bigger than the original.
It doesn't give you any more cable length at all.

I read all his instructions carefully just in case I messed up but got suspicious when I saw his pics and the adjusters were both wound out. Mine were wound pretty far in even before I put on the 1/5th.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump...definitely need some help with this one!!!!
Have PM's Rifleman also

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i had to cut the outer cable sleve down on both of my cables ( at the throttle body end) only 5mm or so and gives you some adjustments. i think i used a mini hack saw. be care full not to catch the cable

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yahoo!!! Thanks for the advise and thanks to this site and the search facility...
found this and followed Riflemans instructions
http://www.tlzone.net/forums/tl1000s-tl1000r-forum/115682-throttle-insert.html
Removed the second nut on both sides and got some slack.
Didn't trust myself to cut the outer sleeve of the cable.
Just enough slack and plenty of adjustment (if I ever need it) up the throttle end of the cable.
Yahoo x 2!!
Now to put everything back together again and get it ready for a weekend trial!!

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
sorry, didn't see this post.

there are a few "more agressive" techniques you can use to get extra cable slack.

1. When you went under the tank, were the cable connectors on the throttle body bracket in the "nut/nut/bracket" config? The adjustment can be bottomed out, but if you move both of the nuts to the TB side of the bracket you can get a full 3/8th of an inch extra slack. In this photo one of the two nuts have actually been cut off each of the cables, but you can see the threaded part of the cable housing is butted right up against the bracket... where a nut use to be and take up space. This is reversable if need be.

2. on the adjuster(s), cut off one or both of the lock rings, and then screw them together more. This can get you an extra 1/8th of an inch of cable slack if you do both. Easy, but not reversable.

3. trim off 2 or 3 threads on one or both of the cable adjusters. spin the adjustor apart (and you will need to cut off the lock ring for this to work). Using the mini tubing cutter, trim the end of the threaded part of the adjustor of about 2 or 3 threads. Reassemble the adjustor. you should now be able to "bottom out" the adjustor. if you do this to both adjustors you should be able to get 3/8ths of an inch of extra slack.

if after all that, you still don't have free operation... I'm going to suggest looking at something other then cable slack... it takes just a tiny bit of extra slack to go from a sticky/hanging condtion, to perfect operation.

as has been said, keep at it, take pix, post your progress here, we'll get you through it

and it will be TOTALLY worth it the first time you take it out and see what it's like to "release the beast"

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's been a long afternoon....1/5th Throttle insert turned in to a 3/4 day job.
While I had the tank up to find that I had no adjustment there either, I removed the top nut on both adjusters and voila...enough cable slack to fit the insert and even a little bit of adjustment near the throttle.
All good.
Haven't tried it yet as I fitted some Oxford heated grips at the same time (and a couple of the Samco hoses.

Thanks to all for advise and can't wait to try it out tomorrow night or Saturday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts