TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as ya'll probably all know by now, I bought a little DR250SE and rode it home from Newburgh NY. Newburgh is near WestPoint along the Hudson about 70 miles or so north of NYC.

I lucked out and was able to ride with my wife's parents up to Newburgh as they were traveling to WestPoint to visit friends etc. I met up with the guy selling the DR, Greg around 11am.
A fellow, Warren, walked up while I was picking the bike up from the seller, Greg. It turns out Warren has a DR350 which is externally identical to the DR250 I had just purchased and was also into vintage enduro/mx bikes as well as BMW airheads.

We chatted for a bit, I rode the bike around the parking lot and then we parted ways. I headed to a near-by motorcycle shop where I was to meet BBorges and hopefully find a bigger front sprocket (the bike was geared super low - 14/49, I went with 15/49 which was still lower than I'd have liked but an improvement). While at the MC shop I ran into Wayne again who was looking at the V-stroms. I had some time to kill before I was to meet up with BBorges and Wayne invited me over to his place to go over my bike and check out his toys. We installed my countershaft sprocket, adjusted the chain, aired up the tires etc. Warren has what is probably the worlds cleanest DR350 and an equally clean Mazda Miata as well as a vintage Puch Enduro bike and a couple Vintage MX bikes and the BMW airheads. All super cool:cool

After going over my bike and checking out Warren's toys we headed back to the MC dealership where we ran into a fellow named Piet Boonstra. Piet is 76 years old and had recently ridden his BMW F-650 (650cc single cylinder dual sport bike) to Tierra del Fuego then to the Artic circle. The man was absolutely amazing and a total inspiration. He just loves riding and rides more or less all day every day best I can tell. He had recently ridden a 225cc dual sport to the Artic circle and back because he "wanted something more challenging than his 650". My kind of dude:hail He's also written a few books on his exploits, one is called "The Long Way Around". I haven't read it yet, but will be soon.

BBorges rode up shortly on a sweet red TLS. We ate lunch at the dealership which was having an open house with free food!

Here's Warren and BBorges (sorry for the fuzzy pics).

The dealership was quite large and had some very interesting bikes on display.

Here's BBorges' TLS and my DR250

Here's the mileage at the start of the trip:

More to come!

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
waiting for more...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was some anxiety as to whether BBorges' rear tire would make the trip or not...

But being the adventuring type we struck out anyway. Didn't take many pics as we were both trying to get as far as possible before we ran out of light. The day was cool, but sunny and the leaves were in full color.

Here's the only pic I have from Saturday's ride. BBorges will have a few more:thumbup

We rode together until we got to the Allentown area, then he headed south to Philly and I went west toward Carlisle. The roads were twisty with amazing scenery the entire way (well, until it got dark anyhow). I arrived in Carlisle around 9:30pm or so I think. Called Crashtd who patiently gave me directions to his place (my sense of direction is really bad, and I was cold and not all that fresh...). Crashtd, his girlfriend and I went out for a bite to eat then went back to his place where I crashed for the night. I owe him a huge thank you for putting me up for the night, giving law school advice and even cooking breakfast in the morning (CA style Mexican Casadia :yumyum).

I left his place around 10am and headed south.

Here’s a pic of some cool looking orchard.

Here’s some pics of the area along Rt 15 near Gettysburg. The trees were really rich in color, but I didn’t manage to capture it very well, use your imagination or better yet, go see it yourself!

And here’s some Battle Field shots (for those overseas, Gettysburg is the location of a famous civil war battle).

more to come:)

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
Arrrghhhh! I can't see the pictures! I really hate computers...

·
Registered
976 Posts
More Please awesome pictures

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
hans3161 said:
More Please awesome pictures
Oh sure, rub it in. :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I regret not stopping more often for pics, but I was having so much fun riding I just didn't do it very often. Didn't stop at all between Gettysburg and Loudon VA, although I wanted to at Point of Rocks MD as there was a super cool bridge over a super cool river, but there was no shoulder at all and somewhat heavy traffic and prudence got the best of me:banghead

Anyway, I all too quickly found myself in Loudon county VA which is very nice, but somewhat close to home. I just didn't want the ride to end:)

Here's a pic along Rt 15 in Loudon

I had been looking longingly at the ridgeline to the west of Rt. 15 and then I spotted this road. With plenty of daylight left I figured why not take a detour and do some exploring. The road wasn’t even on my map, but I decided to try and find a way up to the top of that ridgeline.

Success! The road was gravel and steep with lots of switchbacks – just perfect for the machine I was on

To my disappointment, the hill was littered with homes and people so I didn’t get to go blazing though the woods or explore along power line routes, but the view was nice. After spending time in the more remote countryside of NY, PA and MD western NoVA while beautiful was downright crowded. After enjoying my ridgeline escapades and several miles of steep, twisty gravel I continued toward home. The roads were still twisty and scenic and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. My last stop was at this old barn. It was in an expensive area surrounded by equestrian estates.

Another 30 miles of twisty (although cage infested) roads and I was home:thumbup

The little bike performed flawlessly the entire trip and other than a somewhat sore posterior I was quite comfortable on it. I averaged 76mpg (US gal of course) over 401.9 miles.

That’s it for now, but I still have a few more pics at home to upload and BBorges will have some cool pics too I’m sure:thumbup

A Big thanks goes out to Crashtd for putting me up for the night, BBorges for going out of his way to ride with me and doing all the navigation with his super cool GPS, Warren for offering up his garage to a total stranger, getting me all set for the trip and introducing me to Piet Boonstra and Greg for selling me the delightful little bike and driving 3 hours to meet me in Newburgh.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
:thumbup

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm glad you didn't take the sissy route and truck it back home... :D

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hey Josh!!! Was great stuff man... really great stuff!! I am glad I went for that last season ride with you, was fun!

I do have some morep pictures, but not many :O :O

BikePilot said:
I regret not stopping more often for pics, but I was having so much fun riding I just didn't do it very often.

Man, I am a picture whore, I wasnt sure how much you enjoyed taking pictures so I was afraid to "stop too often and piss you off" so I avoided stoping to take some more. I definately would stop 5x more and take tons of pictures! Ohh well.. it is al good.. I still have a bunch of pics!

I'll be posting the pictures this week.

:devious :devious :devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hehe, that's funny, I didn't wana stop too much as I figured I was already slowing you down a lot. Oh well, next time we will take more pics:thumbup

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
dumb question, but how fast could you comfortably ride that little thing? My stock geared XL250 (c. 1973) huffs and puffs at 55mph.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Helmet_Hair said:
dumb question, but how fast could you comfortably ride that little thing? My stock geared XL250 (c. 1973) huffs and puffs at 55mph.
With the gearing it had (it was geared lower than stock) about 55 was as fast as I felt comfortable pushing it. Wound out it would go just over an indicated 75mph.

Stock gearing is 14/42 - the bike had 14/49 when I got it and I swaped out for 15/49 (didn't have a smaller rear on hand). So the end result was about equivelent to about +4 in the back. I suspect that with stock gearing it would comfortably run 60-65mph, but I can't say for certain as I haven't tried that yet (but will soon).

The motor is counter-ballanced and unbeliveably smooth for a thumper, I was quite impressed. It isn't particularly powerfull, about average for a simple air cooled 250 thumper. The motor is the same as the DR350, only with a shorter stroke crank and smaller bore. Same castings for the cylinder, cases, etc.

·
Registered
676 Posts
There is a lot of history in those pictures my friend. I am glad you had the chance to experience a place where so many lost their lives so that we could ride through it years later. PA has a lot of good riding and lots of history to enjoy along the way. I hope to get to take that same trail you did next summer with my friends on our bikes. Glad you made it home safe and the machine worked great!

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Okay so now that you have it home. What did you pay for the little thumper?

Nice ride report. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 37 Posts