TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm after some information from you all.

Can you provide me with your bike model, sprocket tooth counts front and rear, and your speed @ 3500 rpm in 6th gear, and if you are running a corrected speedo or not?

example

TLR - 17/38 - 60mph - uncorrected

Ta.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
It can be done mathematically. And it's just as good if you're asking for corrected and uncorrected answers.

Uncorrected - all and any gearing chages will result in the same displayed speed @ 3500rpm in 6th. :coocoo

example

TLR - 17/38 - 60mph - uncorrected
TLR - 12/100 - 60mph - uncorrected
TLR - 17/43 - 60mh - uncorrected.

Don't know why you want uncorrected results :dunno

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So where does the speedo pick up it's 'speed' from?

I thought it was a magnetic sensor....

Oh wait, I understand now... the magnetic bit the speedo works from is actually on the front sprocket, and it doesn't 'count' chain links.

So it's purely based on rotations of the front sprocket, rather than for example chainlinks passing per second.

Hence I thought if the front sprocket is upped one tooth, there is actually 18 chainlinks passing the sensor per rotation, rather than what I actually think is going on that the rotation of the sprocket is counted.

:banghead

That in a way makes things a bit easier to work with, well LOTS easier actually.

Back to the drawing board......

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
:laugh

:yes The speedo is effectively measuring the output shaft speed and nothing more (or less).

Now if they put it on the front wheel all would be good.

·
Registered
603 Posts
is there a way to re-calibrate your speedo sensor to rectify the problem without spending a bunch of money?

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
is there a way to re-calibrate your speedo sensor to rectify the problem without spending a bunch of money?
Depends on your definition of a bunch of money. I think the speedo healer is excellent value for money. Less than the price of a set of chain and sprockets to get it back to OEM std error.

(But there is no way to do anything with the sensor. The speedo expects 4 pulses per revolution. You can't use a file to give it 3.5 ppr etc. But a speedo healer or yellow box can fool it.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts