TLZone Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot take: TLRs run better without the airbox mod.
Seriously though, covid lockdown spare time has me doing stuff I hadn't contemplated. So while servicing I decided to restore the vacuum actuators and plumbing for the hell of it.
And much to my surprise, the bike seems to love it. It runs so much smoother off idle than with the mod installed. I think I'm going to leave it on.
It must be a faze I'm going through, I just put the stock exhaust and exhaust servo back on my K6 GSXR 1000 too, and I love that as well.
I'm taking off aftermarket brake/clutch levers from all my bikes and replacing them with the OEM items and now I prefer them too.
What's happening to me?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some sort of Southern Hemisphere mid-life crisis?
:D :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, it's a midlife crisis where I buy a station wagon instead of a sports car.
Hmm, Griswold "Family Tuckster", sweet!
All jokes aside there's some method to the madness. I've faffed around balancing TBs, idle speed, TPS, chasing this sweet spot that never quite got there. What I've learned is that it wasn't the "sweet spot" I was missing, it was the refinement, how and why Suzuki took the edge off a thumping raucous L twin. I honestly think it's a better road bike now with the ancillaries intact, more tractable in real world scenarios. I've got a set of pristine OEM cans I'm going to slap on for shits and giggles. I can't remember the last time I heard a TL with a stock exhaust, if it further improves the TL as a road bike I might leave them on too.
Then some faux "wood paneling" to complete the National Lampoons vibe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Seriously though, covid lockdown spare time has me doing stuff I hadn't contemplated. So while servicing I decided to restore the vacuum actuators and plumbing for the hell of it.
And much to my surprise, the bike seems to love it. It runs so much smoother off idle than with the mod installed. I think I'm going to leave it on.
It must be a faze I'm going through, I just put the stock exhaust and exhaust servo back on my K6 GSXR 1000 too, and I love that as well.
I'm taking off aftermarket brake/clutch levers from all my bikes and replacing them with the OEM items and now I prefer them too.
What's happening to me?
Same here Space, went back to stock levers a year ago and love it...

·
Registered
168 Posts
What's happening to me?
From what I have learned. When closed, the valves simulate a small air box and when open a larger air box. The small air box can improve low speed running/torque and the large is needed for maximum HP. This is what SUZUKI advertised when new but what you may not know is the factory shop manual says the valves are supposed to open at 2600rpm and close back up at 2400rpm. If this is true, (I have checked and at idle it is) the purpose is not as advertised. While I am sure the bike chugs less off idle, there should be no difference above that range. I believe the main reason for being is to quiet the idle/low speed intake noise and satisfy big brother. .
Oh, the answer to your question is: your getting old, the same as our bikes. not a problem, we just require a little TLC.

Reactions: Space Jockey

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it's only fair to inform the "reversal" only lasted a few days, and the stock mufflers didn't make it past the "shit, these are heavier than I remembered" stage.
Moral of the story, I might be getting old(er) but I'm not ready to lay down and die just yet.
Stock levers for the win though ; )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts