TLZone Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the soflt-limiter wire you can snip on the TLR ECU, supposedly there's some place you can send your Denso ECU and they chip out the epoxy potting and replace the chip to raise the redline. Only darn it I lost the info. Anybody know what I'm talking about? If one of us got that done we should darn well dupe the prom. I'd love to add a real 800 RPM while keeping the soft limiter, that would give me reason to consider lighter rods etc.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
If memory serves the engine cases grenade at about 11,000 so I would be very cautious going there.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Suuperchips in the UK can get you 10,342rpm. Howerver there is no power there or beyond without using parts you cannot get. And if you could the cost would not make any sense.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Suuperchips in the UK can get you 10,342rpm. Howerver there is no power there or beyond without using parts you cannot get. And if you could the cost would not make any sense.
making sense has no bearing on cyclecampers decisions anyway :laugh

hes just looking for reasons to spend money on fancy rods...

:spit

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
What was that site (In German I think) where the guy used to dig out the EEPROM's and fit his own programmed one into the ECU?

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Suuperchips in the UK can get you 10,342rpm. However there is no power there or beyond without using parts you cannot get. And if you could the cost would not make any sense.
Oh come on, N2 & Art, I'm not talking about 11K or 12K, this is 92 RMP above the TLR wire-snip mod which has proven genrally not dangerous. I just really enjoy conjecture but want to pick your brains and experience for the "rules of thumb". It's like my Catholic upbringing, a framework form which to rebel within some reasonable bounds. Fun is toeing the limits safely, until you go over then it's no fun but educational in a painful way. I guess you'd know, Art, but I've never even twisted the throttle of a TL with a Falicon Supercrank much less ridden one. And I've had this discussion before, for 9 years now, without ever putting parts where my mouth is (unless you want to count that one time in prison). But some creative brainstorming outside the box might lead somewhere, it's what I do at work. This is supposed to be fun and imaginitive. Of course I can talk about what I can't really build, or I'd be building instead of typing LOL. But I am finally considering getting my hands dirty.

That's it: Superchips. But only 92 more RPM than the TLR 'snip' mod? Hardly worth it? I wonder if they just break that ECU pin LOL. Really, is that a soft limiter at 10,342 then hard soon thereafter? I wonder how soon thereafter?

On the other hand, if it were free and I could afford the rods I'd do it in a heartbeat. And I really like the idea of putting the TLR wire on a switch. Hell, just for the sound occasionally LOL. A TL with a lot of flywheel has one sound. A TL with less and more RPM is something else entirely, as I'm sure Art knows. According to other posters, the TLR soft limit starts at 9850 and hard limit is 10,250. So Superchips gets you to 10,342. The power curve may not be rising, but that's hardly the same as "no power there"...I don't understand why you say that, unless you mean no power gain or no more power, or literally it explodes and has 0.0 power LOL. And I suspect there may be some usable power there. For drag racing like N2Wheelies indeed there's little benefit past peak, unless he's shifting into peak or around both sides of peak...for drag, optimizing power might be to shift either side of peak. But what is the limit and the danger, valve float? Seems to me most modified TLRs have curves that are still rising or continuing the plateau as they approach the limit. And I suspect the "part I cannot get" is probably air intakes that flow much more than these aftermarket ram tubes and a bigger airbox. I would freakin' love to figure out how to stuff the airbox, maybe from some flexible tube between the fork legs and flattened above the radiator, into the airbox somehow. Hell, I'd freakin' weld an RC51 flow-thru steering head onto a TLR frame and duct more air from the nose right into the aribox LOL. Maybe weld another passage thru the frame rails, I don't know, something. But I don't see much danger in allowing 92 more RPM with lighter stronger pistons and lighter stronger rods and lighter stronger valves and no scissors or decomp. I realize the "danger" with RPM is not linearly proportional to RPM, and how long the rod big end lasts might be another question, but I'm not planning on living at those RPM all the time. But I can see it occasionally being useful to be able to overrev a little without banging the limiter. And if the power curve is dipping, well that might be a very good thing for longevity. Most of my life I rode bikes that had no rev limiter except you could feel the down side of the power curve or feel the effect of the valves starting to float. And if I was planning on raising redline I'd be choosing cams with appropriate ramp rates. Which is why I'm wondering now, before I buy cams. And I imagine the redline and how the limiter kicks in could affect decisions on how much flywheel and crank mass you want. Cams and rods and crank work are so darn expensive... What I'd really like to know is stuff like if I raised redline would it be prudent to have the oil pump treated with those fancy coatings and shim up the pressure relief? The problem with raising the redline is that it hasn't been done much and I don't claim to know what it would take. But I'm interested. Give me a hand here, what's worth doing and what's not. What works for valve springs and keepers etc?

If a lightened crank spinning up & winding down is nice, a little more leeway in how far it can spin up might be complementary or really dangerous.

Then I have to ask myself whether I wouldn't get more pleasure from even lighter wheels instead, which generally improve reliability instead of compromising it.

The reality is that when I'm at high RPM I'm not always at wide open throttle. Or maybe sometimes it might be nice to upshift right into the meat of the powerband. Or run one more tooth in the back than I could otherwise. Or just not be emberassed to **** up in my choice of gears and audibly hit the lmiiter as often LOL!

And yeah, it is hard to justify titanium rods just to reduce vibration, and we all have titanium lust. I should just figure out how to play with long-term titanium futures in the precious metals commodities market LOL. All this talk about exploding cases if you go a smidge over the magic redline...I haven't seen many people going above what the snips allow, so I assume it's all conjecture and folklore. I haven't seen a lot of broken rods without a main bearing failure first. Maybe raising redline is dangerous territory and was a minefield for the DUCs that tried that path, but it seems largely uncharted by TLs. Was Yosh and the real race program really pushing TLs until they grenaded? How many DNFs? Maybe I've just been away from the track for too many years and missed the body of evidence that did accumulate somewhere? When they upgraded the oil pump, did that give us some margin?

Anyway, there's no such thing as a stupid question unless it's from me. I guess I just love stupid questions, but I'm smart enough to ask the guys on the path ahead of me LOL.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Kind of interesting, the airbox mod on the TLS lid .Has anyone tried that on this site?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
BBPower doesn't change the rev limiter for Suzuki ECU!

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
i'd hazard a guess and say suzuki built in a little safety zone into our engines..... i dont for a minute think that they would go pop,even if they could be reved to 11,000.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
These people http://www.vtac.co.uk/serv-gsxr600.htm were (are:coocoo ) advertising a mod for Gixxers that gives another 10% or so ...... I mailed them and they think they might be able to do something, but want a photo of the ECU to be sure. I'll send a pic and see what they say .....

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd love at least 700 more rpms. My dyno shows my power still going up at the rev limit cut off and with my mods I feel very safe. If the case ever exploded then so be it. Keep me informed please.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts