TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem with my fourth gear, tore her down and found out it was rounded gear knobs that lock the gear in. I found a TLR complete tranny and the guy is going to give me a good price, however I am not sure if it is identical to the tls. I have looked at both schematics and can't seem to see anything different........

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
there is, at least from the early S's, have a search on my post's from a year or more ago. Can't remeber excatly, but one or two gears are wider and shows up as unable to close the crankcase properly. Likely to can mix/match the best of both boxes. also use the solid shift rods if yours dont have.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
The 97 TLS also has a different output shaft.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yours is a 2000 model year right? I think by 2000 you basically have a TLR engine case and big output shaft bearing so you shouldn't have a problem. I don't know for sure though, but wanted to get the model year out there so you can get more substantive answers.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,414 Posts
If your's is a 99 onwards model then no problem, straight swap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sure hope your right man. I am a little worried. But optimistic.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
If your's is a 99 onwards model then no problem, straight swap.
98 on had the bigger output shaft etc did it not?

Mine is a 97 and thats where the gears prob originates from.

·
15,414 Posts
The 97/98 TLS engine had the thinner output shaft bearing, longer sprocket spacer, different dog length on 1st gear and also only one hole in the end of the selector drum for the GPS contact.

Like I say, if you stick with any TLR gearbox or 99 onwards TLS you will be ok.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I have to disagree, Sam.
The 98 TLS has a gearbox somewhere in between the 97 and 99+/TLR version. It already has the bigger output shaft bearing, but the gears seem all compatible to the 97 TLS gearbox. I know because I blew the gearbox of my 98 TLS racebike. The output shaft bearing was the big version, but the gears were replaced by 97 TLS gears. In addition, the gear selector drum is the old 97 version.
http://www.mrufer.ch/foto/2008/motorrep/

(but that is not significant for this thread, I agree that 99+ TLS and TLR are all compatible)

Greetings
Rufer

·
15,414 Posts
I have to disagree, Sam.
The 98 TLS has a gearbox somewhere in between the 97 and 99+/TLR version. It already has the bigger output shaft bearing, but the gears seem all compatible to the 97 TLS gearbox.
Thanks Rufer, a bit of a parts bin special cross over year :laugh

But we do all agree that by 2000 model year there will be no R-S compatability right?
Yes, straight swap, it's only the output shaft difference that causes problems unless you start mixing and matching gears with the 97/98 models :thumbup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts