TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, i am told that if i get an updated ecu it will help to improve my mpg a bit more. can any1 tell me how i can tell if my ecu is the stock 1 which cam with the bike, and also which ecu will be best to replace it with.:banghead
i have a 97tls.
thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dnt mind dropping horses, but i dnt want to lose any torque, i have considered replacing the stock exhaust, but dnt want to do it if i really dnt have to.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
i dnt mind dropping horses, but i dnt want to lose any torque, i have considered replacing the stock exhaust, but dnt want to do it if i really dnt have to.
You might drop a couple of HP where you spend 1% of your riding time to get rid of most of the shitty running where you spend 99% of your riding time. Good to see someone not bothered by one peak number and is more concerned with how the rest of it is. :thumbup

The thermostat mod is one to do to, so whatever ECU you're running with at least gets an accurate engine coolant temperature reading and has half a chance of getting some of the mapping right.

ECU numbers >> http://wotid.com/tls/content/view/25/49/

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you tell me where i can find the ecu on the bike and i will have a look tom in the day and post up the number, will apreciate it if you can let me know.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
After reading this thread as well as the link posted by Steve, I assume this doesnt apply to my 2000? This problem was addressed by then?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Yeup. It was an issue for TL's manufactured before 10/97

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
:stupid

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, here are the numbers from the ecu, not sure which 1 u wanted so here are all of them.
32920-02f00
112100-0072
nep001

thanks for the help.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Look here, I posted it up earlier >> http://wotid.com/tls/content/view/25/49/

The 32920-02F00 is the one to take notice of. It should have bee swapped for a 32920-02F01 in the bike's early days. Over here, the (10/97) '98 and up came with 32920-02F60

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, can i take an ecu from a tlr and stick it on a tls?there is 1 going on ebay at the moment

·
Moderator,
8,236 Posts
:no The TLR is a different animal altogether. You should note that there are folks who would very much like to have your original '97 ECU. You might even be able to arrange a swap for an updated ECU with one of them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what are the perks with the 97 ecu then??? i just want to try n get sum better fuel consumption, well if any1 is after a 97 ecu maybe something can be sorted out.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
There are no perks with the original ECU. Not unless you're interested in one peak number at the very top end of the rev range. Good for bragging rights, not much good where you spend 99% of your riding time.

You have to do the thermostat mod to improve your economy too. Fitting a later ECU is only half the job ;)

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I think the '97 is unrestricted - though adding a TRE to a later one should bring it close to par with the '97:O. The '97's fueling was sposed to be worse, with stumble etc; and they were sposed to "drift" (out of tune:confused) whatever that means. They are a bit of an ikon - makes the bike an original 'Widowmaker':devious. I think this dude may have dyno'd both, though i haven't been to hi site in a while: http://homepage.mac.com/rg500delta/TL1000/Randys TL1000S page.html

I think the best way to fix fuel economy is to do the temp sensor mod, if it hasn't been done. Steve and I have both alresdy given you the link for this. Go to my first post and click on the underlined text, if you haint already:).

Just read Randy's back to back ECU test - accoerding to him the original '97 is more powerful throughout the rev range - pulls like a schoolboy....

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I think the '97 is unrestricted - though adding a TRE to a later one should bring it close to par with the '97:O.

The original '97 with an original ECU, still had a gear position sensor fitted and fed the ECU with gear information and it altered the mapping to suit. The difference in mapping depending on clutch position with a static TRE can be observed in the 97 and 98+ TL's so the '97 ECU was using the gear position information.

There's just not a lot of '97 TRE's out there as it was the only model to use a 2 wire plug, all the rest used a 3 wire plug and you can't make and sell a true plugand play 97 TLS TRE, you have to connect a ground wire.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Yeup, mines a two plug, I made my own TRE thanx to WOTID:). I have read a lot of stuff that suggests the original '97 ECU does not benifit from a TRE:O. I'll try and hunt it down in the next few days.

Though, I haven't seen it on TV, so it may not be true:laugh:laugh(bastardised CCR:laugh)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
That wotid site rocks :laugh

1 - 20 of 31 Posts