TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right I need to replace my rear shock so what are my options?

Cant really afford to buy new so was thinking of buying a used shock and damper on ebay or could I just buy the damper cos I can't really seee how the spring on a stick can fail?
I see some of you guys have put r1 shocks on which looks good bit how do they fit? Do you need a special bracket and where can I find such parts? What year r1?
Cheers for any help!

·
Registered
11,029 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
There really needs to be a sticky on which R1 shocks fit (I am collating info atm to make a post)

If you have a TLS then the below applies I am not sure on the TLR (use the search function)

You need to get an Ohlins bracket made up or purchase one from the Ring in (PM him) then there are a host of shocks that will fit.

R1 shock 02-03 5PW
R1 shock 04-05-06 5VY
R1 shock 07-08 4C8 (I have just purchased one of these)
R1 shock 09-10 14B (Myself and Haynesy have bought these shocks and they dont work on a TLS)

Once you recieved said shock you need to remove the spring as its only the damper which is required. You still use SAOS (Red spring on right side of bike)

There are many other shocks that fit but I will try and put them all on a new thread.

Simples :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Be aware that the SOAS (spring) CAN fail, and often does......Because it's not lubricated, the main shaft flogs out the holes that it slides in. I first noticed the wear when it sounded like a mouse was living in there.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
The damper holds a bit of the bike weight up, take the damper off and you will see how useless the soas really is and how weak the spring really is.My bike had soas and R6 damper on but i didnt even try it on the road,took R6 damper off and noticed how crap the soas was so threw it all away and going for a conventional shock in the centre of frame. There is loads of threads on conversions if you use the search button.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
You got S or R?

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
He's got a tlr

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
:bangheadJesus H why didnt he say....simple fix is lose the oversize hump mate you will be amazed how how the rear suspension works when you lose the trailer on back.
:lol

·
Registered
719 Posts
The SOAS will fail. Thats why have gone for a complete replacement. Pulled down the bike and noticed wear on the second SOAS. Already had a Wilbers damper but decided it was time to go for a complete replacement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts