TLZone Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All so often the front header bolts snap on the TL engines

Lots of ways suggested on how to get the sheared part out, I've tried many times welding washers onto what left, then a nut etc but this rarely works, I've never used easyouts as generally if they snap your looking at a replacement head.

You can even file whats left flush with the alloy and drill a 5mm hole and tap an M6 thread, An M6 bolt is more than enough to tighten a header on.

If you can hit an apple at 500 yards with a kids bow an arrow then theres a chance you can drill the old stud dead central to the tapping diameter and very carefully pick out the old threads or carefully use an M8 tap to get the old threads out.......but it takes a lot of time and skill.

The method I use is to centre pop and drill the old snapped bolt to 4mm/5mm/6mm in stages.

Then I use a carbide burr in the dremel to cut two long chanels opposite each other just past the thread depth. These burrs are available in bulk used on ebay from PCB Circuit Board Manufacturers etc.

Once you have two grooves you can carefully tap each side of the old thread into the centre of the hole releasing it from the seized thread. A bit of fiddling later and it should just pull out from the hole.

This method does loose a small portion of the old thread but far better than the mess often left behind. And it can be drilled oversize and helicoiled if preferred.

I always use plenty of copper slip on any new bolts and quite often buy M8 stainless screwed rod and make studs instead :thumbup

Hope this helps.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because Photoshop changed their policy to only allow photo's to be shared to internet groups if you paid a very expensive monthly subscription fee to them, so 99% of their users deleted their accounts with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts