TLZone Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Would having a different diameter or being made out of a differen't material make a difference? I assume some calculations would have to be made. Do sharkskinz TLR tubes actually provide any improvment?

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
I wouldn't think material "type" would make any difference but siz/bore, length & shape yes.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
You aircraft numpty's should know material and air flow go hand in hand Mr Toledo.

Enter the golf ball dimple argument.... if the golf ball has no dimples it doesn't travell as far :O

Rough and smooth surfaces give differing turbluance....

So... materials would make a difference.... might only be a smalll one though. ;)

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Only the surface finish Chris...........dimples would create drag/turbulance. I took it as material spec'.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Only the surface finish Chris...........dimples would create drag/turbulance. I took it as material spec'.
Apparently not... they create a barrier OF air between the surface and the moving air..... allowing the air to pass over without drag.. :O

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
You're talking about laminar airflow :)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
When moving air is stopped it will pressurize slightly wouldn't it?
i think your rite,it is called fluid dynamics,alltho a fluid is non-compressible as where a gas is...so a gas that is flowing in a tube and then is restricted,carries enegy thru inertia to compress which can raise pressure and speed of flow or both..fuk that hurts.gotta aspirin ?? but our bikes do not get efficient use of ram air unlees your riding 100+ fukall miles an hour,on the street ? are you kiddin' me fukin ram air is the least yer probs you need to hire an undertaker.that said the sound wave deal is seperate from ram-air

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I wonder if this need for resonance length is why the TLS intake system is how it is. It's probably tuned for a lower rpm range then the TLR intake system?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I decided to keep my RAM ducts when I removed my fairing. With a pair of homemade "side walls" for the radiator I got the mounting points I needed for the ducts. A matter of taste, like everything. :) Still some work to be done to get the bike on the street.
View attachment 39007
View attachment 39009

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
There's laminar flow, which you model with dynamic finite element modelling, then there's the pulse part, which you model like AC electricity. The real model is flow and pulse, very complicated. But you can tune and analyze just the pulse part just like speaker enclosures, where the long tunnel port's first-order mode inverts phase and acts just like a big inductor. The airbox acts like a big capacitor. In resonance it can transfer pulses very efficiently and over-pack the cylinder. However, out of band it sucks. So we just concentrate on flow. If you can open the airbox up enough with lots of cold air flow, it works better at low mph but loses a few HP at top speed with engine on-tune with intake & exhaust. But I don't drive at top speed very often. Ram is nice for EPA because it performs OK without a lot of noise.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts