TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys had a question about installing an alarm with remote engine start. Is there anyone who has this on there TLR? I just wondered what issues if any I can expect. My one concern is the FI activating properly for the start. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Jay.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
it should work with a relay installed to activate the clutch switch circuit.

·
Moderator,
8,225 Posts
And you'd best never forget to leave it in neutral. :laugh

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you're thinking you want remote start do it right.

Have met someone who had the remote in his pocket while riding which activated the starter, damn near tore the starter off its mounts and made a mess inside.

I'd wire in the a double pole relay with one NO contact parallel to the start button and the other NO in parallel to the clutch switch. You will need to make sure your Neutral switch is opening when in gear.

Also a vacuum switch to interrupt the signal to the relay coil (closed at Atmospheric pressure and open under Vacuum), this is so you don't start it while its running.

I might modify the drawing section 7-10 pg 423 to show this for future reference.

Also it pays to check that your bike starts in gear with clutch pulled only when the side stand is up.

If it starts clutched in gear sidestand down you will need to install slightly different or revert to factory before mod..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info, that was one of my concerns about hitting the start button on the remote while ridding and making metal soup inside the case lol. At least on the remote you have to press the start button twice with in 2 seconds in order for it to activate the starter. I'll probly have to make a trip up to san jose to find a vacuum switch but that's a great idea. Is there any type of particular brand of vacuum switch you might recommend, I know some stand the test of time better than others. I was always taught measure twice cut once that kinda goes along with my ocd when I do a project. Once again thanks for all the information and help this fourm is great.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just go to my local auto electrical shop and get the one that suits where I'm installing it. Take a piece of vac hose you'll be using to connect it, you'll also want a vacuum restrictor pill (used as a delay for vacuum switch) this will prevent the vacuum switch operating while the engine is initially turning over. Over here in NZ we have a place called Pick-A-Part and I'd grab 2 pills out of a twin turbo subaru legacy :devious .

An end of line vacuum switch will last a long time as when it changes from atmospheric to vacuum they only let a small amount of air out of them and on return to atmosphere again a small amount is drawn back in.
The switch contacts will be fine as they'll only be energising a relay coil and under normal operating conditions it wont be switching on or off any load at all as the remote starter contacts will.

The trick is to mount so the hose runs straight up into it and elevated so it doesn't fill up with fluid, also check installation where there is a vac storage pod or a check valve (one way). Although a storage or buffer pod can be used as vacuum delay but not ideal.

Alternative is to use an oil pressure switch but a vacuum switch is easier to install.

I'd probably install into the hose that feeds the solenoid valve that operates the actuators of the airbox flaps, since you wont be using them.

I forgot I was making a drawing for you, I shall do this now.

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Juzz976, this will save me alot of time not having to lay it out on paper first. It also cleared up a part I wasn't to sure about. Thanks everyone for all the info.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Oh sorry that pic sucks haha. Will post a clearer one.

I have indeed, this is my trade and I have designed many electrical and electronic solutions.

I have recently finished my prototype GPI, its uses a trichromatic LED and you can set a colour for each gear.
It also flashes at a set RPM for shift light function. I've made it to suit a TLR but may make for other models if there is demand for this type of thing. I use mine in the helmet but can dash mount.

I would have drawn this in AutoCAD but I've just upgraded inventor and still personalising it, its a slow and frustrating process at times.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Note this setup you'll need to have the ignition turned on and the killswitch closed. This is how I have done a setup for warming up in the morning b4 work. Although the immobiliser cut ign supply so battery didn't drain.

I have done a setup for remote start that bypasses the ignition and killswitch untill the sidestand is lifted but requires some electronics work. Or an additional relay or 2.

How would you like yours to operate? I can make another drawing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey juzz976, I have a question. I just got the alarm I ordered and instructions that came with it. on the wiring diagram everything looks pretty straightforward. I see where I'm cutting the big brown wire from the starter that is the engine cut off. There is a blue wire they show me connecting to the (CDI) capacitor discharge ignition? I'm little unsure where that is :) now besides those 2 wires I don't see how the remote engine start is going to work without something triggering the FI system. When I get home I can upload a copy of the wiring diagram so you can see what I'm talking about. You can also find a copy online. Just google Spy alarm 5000M wiring diagram. I have a few friends that have this alarm installed on their bikes with FI. But they took their bikes to the shop and had them installed so they have no idea how it Is installed on thier bikes. Any advice you can give as usual would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You should not be disconnecting any large wires. Alarms, immobilisers and remote starters all work on control wiring not power wiring.

You have a few options,
interrupt the starter relay coil - can still be roll started.
inerrupt the ignition from their feed or drian wires. a TL1000R is O/W feed and the 2 coils so interrupt before the split means only one contact is required.
Other ways is to go inline to kill switch, fuel pump relay or CDI supply.
I prefer to interrupt both Fuel pump relay and Starter Relay.

What model bike you installing it on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
02 TL1000R. I have the picture of the instructions on my cell but it won't let me upload it. I can send it to your email if that's ok.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts