TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed this the other day,when at slow speed i could just hear a regular ticking getting quicker the quicker i went?No i don't have a pacemaker!:)Discs are ok,new pads secure,nothings loose.Wheel bearing maybe?Bike has done 17,000 miles.You can hear the clicking clearly just pushing the bike along at walking pace,about one click per revolution of the wheel.Anyone any ideas?

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Bobbins from the disc? don't floating discs make a noise?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Get the front wheel off the ground with the front end supported by a stand or other device, unbolt the 2 brake calipers & move them out of the way. I use thick guage wire with good insulation wrapped around the wire & wrap one end around something sticking out in the area (coolant radiator mounting bracket, etc) & the other through the caliper mounting hole to hang the calipers out of the way. With both calipers off the rotors & out of the way spin the wheel & listen for the same sound. As you do this take a look at the brake rotors to see if you see one or both are visibly out of true. If you hear nothing & the rotors appear to be straight attach the calipers, hit the front brakes a few times & then spin the wheel again. Note, it helps if you rock the calipers a bit on the rotor when you remove the calipers. This pushes the brake pads back & moves the caliper pistons back into their bores. Makes putting the calipers back on relatively easy.

If the wheel bearings aren't making noise I would also check to see that nothing on the front end is binding. Many people make the mistake of tightening up the front axle pinch bolts on the throttle grip/rider's right side without lining things up properly when they do a front wheel R&R. After you torque down the front axle you are supposed to tighten those pinch bolts finger tight only. Then you take the bike off the front stand & get on the bike & hit the front brakes a few times while pushing down on the front end. Get off the bike slowly & put the bike on it's side stand carefully. Now go back & torque down those front axle pinch bolts. Think the torque specs are around 10 ft/lbs for those pinch bolts so don't torque them down super hard.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Pinch bolts are 16.5 ft-lbs, should bounce without the brake on so everything can move. Manual says 4 to 5 times, then tighten. Torque axle to 72.5 ft-lbs.

Also if you have a warped rotor, it will tend to push the pads, or make it "pulse" if it pushes the pads, in an extreme case of a bent one, the lever has to be pumped to get it to grab again, if the bike isn't rolling the brake feels normal.

Other suggestions are you could have a screw in your tire, a loose rotor/caliper, lots of options. Your tire could also need balancing, look at everything carefully.:coocoo

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've noticed the exact same thing on my bike but I haven't had a chance to investigate it yet. If I drag the brakes slightly the clicking stops. The only thing I can think of that has happened semi recently was getting new tyres fitted so maybe they didn't put the front wheel back on properly. I need to get me a front stand!

Braking is still fine with no pulsing or that feeling of having to pump the lever when a disc is warped. :O

·
Registered
871 Posts
I had some clicking from my front wheel also, but when the brakes were applied the ticking stopped. Come to find out my pads were moving slightly so I applied some brake quite to the back side of my pads and I had no more ticking. Just trying to give you a possible solution, hope it helps!:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
:stupid
Originally Posted by Toledo
Bobbins from the disc? don't floating discs make a noise?

Yeah, think so -a warped disk would make em click
I had the same probelm until I change my rotors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts